This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1277 / 51°7'39"N
Longitude: -0.148 / 0°8'52"W
OS Eastings: 529692
OS Northings: 138125
OS Grid: TQ296381
Mapcode National: GBR JKF.CD8
Mapcode Global: VHGSQ.DX3C
Entry Name: Pulhamite Rockery at Milton Mount Gardens (Former Worth Park Gardens)
Listing Date: 1 May 2008
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1392579
English Heritage Legacy ID: 504452
Location: Crawley, West Sussex, RH10
County: West Sussex
Locality: Pound Hill North
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Worth St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
1008/0/10017 MILTON MOUNT AVENUE
01-MAY-08 Pulhamite rockery at Milton Mount Gard
ens (former Worth Park gardens)
Garden rockery, constructed c.1884-1887 by the firm of James Pulham and Son as part of the gardens constructed by them for Sir Francis Abraham Montefiore at Worth Park. Pulhamite cement over a core of clinker and scrap brickwork.
DESCRIPTION: This was sited to the north east of the former main house, Worth Park, which was demolished in the 1960s. It comprises a naturalistic composition in Pulhamite artificial rock, about 5ft projecting above ground level and 40ft to 50ft long, the upper part containing planting compartments. The east or rear side also has some exposed brickwork.
HISTORY: The area occupied by Worth Park and its gardens was originally part of the forest of Worth, part of the Warenne lands since the Norman Conquest. The 1840 tithe map refers to a property called "Worth Park estate" but the original house was destroyed by fire three years later. In its place a mansion, shown on the 1879 Ordnance Survey map was built. Between 1884-87 his son Sir Francis Abraham Montefiore rebuilt and extended the mansion, built a new stable block and at the same time employed the firm of James Pulham and Son to construct the gardens. These were laid out on four levels to accommodate a sloping site, utilising the firm's Pulhamite artificial rock and pre-cast garden architectural ornaments made of stone-coloured terracotta material. The Pulhamite rockery is one of the most substantial of these original 1880s garden features.
SOURCES: "Country Life" Sept. 30th 1899. pp.400-05.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION:
* This 1880s Pulhamite rockery survives in good condition and is of similar scale to other recommended Pulhamite structures in the former gardens of Worth Park.
* It is one of a series of substantial remaining garden structures constructed by the firm of James Pulham within Worth Park, later Milton Mount Gardens.
* It is situated within a publicly accessible landscape which is of local interest.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings