This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.22 / 51°13'12"N
Longitude: -0.4984 / 0°29'54"W
OS Eastings: 504966
OS Northings: 147832
OS Grid: TQ049478
Mapcode National: GBR GF5.DTJ
Mapcode Global: VHFVP.9LWK
Entry Name: K6 Telephone Kiosk
Location: Albury, Guildford, Surrey, GU5
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Listing Date: 23 March 2009
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 505278
Source ID: 1393213
431/0/10042 ALBURY STREET
23-MAR-09 K6 Telephone Kiosk
K6 telephone kiosk, design by Giles Gilbert Scott 1935. Three sides have wide, horizontal glass panels with narrow margin lights to each, the fourth side is solid.
The K6 is a standardised design made of cast iron, painted red overall with long horizontal glazing in door and sides and with the crowns situated on the top panels being applied not perforated. There are rectangular white display signs, reading TELEPHONE beneath the shallow-curved roof. It has modernised internal equipment. It is in good condition with the exception of a small amount of flaking paint on one side.
It stands on a grass verge at the side of the road, within the Albury Conservation Area. There are two grade II listed buildings in the vicinity of the kiosk - Weston Dene, a Gothic style house of c1860, and a row of former shops (now houses) of mid-C19 date in a vernacular tradition with tall chimneys - both are significant to Albury's evolution as an estate village. The kiosk is not immediately opposite the listed buildings, but they are all on the same street and there is a clear visual relationship.
The K6 telephone kiosk is a milestone of C20 industrial design. The K6 was designed by Giles Gilbert Scott in 1935 for the General Post Office, on the occasion of King George V's Silver Jubilee. The K6 was a development from his earlier highly successful K2 telephone kiosk design of 1924, of Neo-classical inspiration. The K6 was more streamlined aesthetically, more compact and more cost-effective to mass produce. Giles Gilbert Scott (1880-1960) was one of the most important of modern British architects; his many celebrated commissions include the Anglican cathedral of Liverpool and Battersea power station. The K2 and K6 telephone kiosks can be said to represent a very thoughtful adaptation of architectural tradition to contemporary technological requirements. Well over 70,000 K6s were eventually produced. In the 1960s many were replaced with far plainer kiosk types. But many still remain, and continue to be an iconic feature on Britain's streetscapes.
The village of Albury was originally located slightly to the east of its present site. It was moved in the late C18 while Captain Finch was expanding his estate of Albury Park. Albury village took over the site of the hamlet of Weston Street. During the early-mid C19, the successor of Albury Park, Henry Drummond, consequently moulded Albury into an informal estate village. Most of the architecture on The Street, which is where the kiosk is located, relates to Drummond's mid C19 redevelopment.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The K6 telephone kiosk in Albury is recommended for designation for the following principal reason:
* It has group value with two listed buildings of the mid C19 on the same street, which were built when Albury was an estate village.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings