Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.5583 / 54°33'30"N
Longitude: -1.3069 / 1°18'24"W
OS Eastings: 444920
OS Northings: 518342
OS Grid: NZ449183
Mapcode National: GBR MH9Q.VR
Mapcode Global: WHD6Y.WPVC
Entry Name: Victoria Bridge
Location: Thornaby, Stockton-on-Tees, TS17
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Listing Date: 19 February 2010
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 506706
Source ID: 1393672
19-FEB-10 VICTORIA BRIDGE
Bridge, 1887, by Charles Neate; the consulting engineer was Mr Harrison Haytor and the builders were Messrs Whitaker Brothers of Leeds.
MATERIALS: wrought iron, cast iron Bramley Fall stone and granite.
DESCRIPTION: Victoria Bridge, Stockton has three river spans with a central span of 33.5m and two side spans of 18.2m, also two land arches 3.7m wide, and achieves a total length of c.104m. Each span is formed of eight ribs connected together by seven sets of transverse radial bracing, the spandrels also being connected together by six sets of diagonal bracing. Each rib at the springing works on a cast-iron knuckle joint. The spandrels are embellished with open ironwork of diminishing interlocking circles incorporating various coats of arms. Buckled plates, riveted upon the ribs and spandrels carry the causeway which is supported by decorative scrolled brackets. The carriageway is 12m wide, flanked by footpaths 3m wide; each footpath has the provision to carry a water main beneath its surface.The abutments and piers are of Bramley Fall stone faced with ashlar. The balustrade is of open cast iron work of an interlocking circle design, which incorporates classical granite parapets which rise above each of the five bridge piers. The parapets carry original ornate cast-iron lamp posts with modern lamps.
HISTORY: The bridge was opened in 1887 to commemorate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria and replaced an earlier bridge of 1771. It was designed by Messrs H Haytor and Charles Neate and was built by Whitaker Brothers, Leeds at a cost of £69051. The money was raised by local councils with contributions from the Tramway Company, North Eastern Railway and the Water Board. The bridge was used by trams until 1931 when it became a road bridge.
Neate, Charles, Memoir of the Victoria Bridge, Stockton-on-Tees min. proc. Instn. Civ. Engrs. (1892) 304-1
Rennison, R W, Civil Engineering Heritage: Northern England: Victoria Bridge (1996) 93
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION:
The Victoria Bridge of 1887 is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* It has significant constructional interest as an increasingly rare survival of a C19 wrought iron arched bridge with a balustrade of cast iron
* It displays a high level of architectural quality in its overall design, detailing and use of materials
* It compares favourably with other listed bridges of similar construction and date, such as Battersea Bridge, London (Grade II)
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings