This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2905 / 51°17'25"N
Longitude: 0.4081 / 0°24'29"E
OS Eastings: 568010
OS Northings: 157345
OS Grid: TQ680573
Mapcode National: GBR NPK.205
Mapcode Global: VHJM5.1T3M
Entry Name: Ice House North of the Lake, Manor Park
Listing Date: 22 April 2010
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1393757
English Heritage Legacy ID: 507877
Location: West Malling, Tonbridge and Malling, Kent, ME19
District: Tonbridge and Malling
Parish: West Malling
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: West Malling St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
1156/0/10017 ST. LEONARD'S STREET
22-APR-10 Ice house north of The Lake, Manor Park
Ice house. Late C18, probably constructed after 1776 and in existence by 1789. Concealed under an earth mound a few metres to the north of the lake at Manor Park at TQ 679573. The top is concealed under a thick mid C20 square concrete slab which is not of special interest.
DESCRIPTION: Comprises a cylindrical partially domed chamber probably about 10 feet in diameter with about 15 feet in depth visible above silt deposits. It is lined in hand-made red bricks in header bond. At the time of inspection there was no evidence of a side entry, suggesting access was from the top. An expected drain to the lake bed was not visible.
HISTORY: The ice house is situated a few metres north of a lake on land originally belonging to Douce's Manor. This house was built in 1776 by Benjamin Hubble with alterations and extensions of 1802 by Thomas Dance. A structure in the approximate position of the ice house is shown on "Pink's Accurate Map" of 1789. this shows an elongated oval structure which either depicts the mound or may depict an overground structure above the ice house, since demolished. On the 1885 Ordnance Survey Map a circular mound is shown to the north of the lake in the position of the ice house, surrounded by a circular dotted line. The 1896 Ordnance Survey map does not show this dotted line; presumably the ice house was more overgrown by this date. During the Second World War, the field on which the ice house is situated was used as a prison camp for interned Germans, and it is believed that it was at this time that the aperture at the top was sealed by a thick concrete slab. The land on which the ice house is situated was later detached from Douce's Manor and is now a Country Park.
Pink's Accurate Map of 1789. Copy in British Library.
English Heritage's Monuments Protection Programme Step 3 Report on Ice Houses. (Unpublished). This ice house is identified as No.40 on a list of 64 known ice houses in Kent.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION:
The Ice House north of The Lake, Manor Park is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic Interest: it is of late C18 date, probably built after about 1776 when Douce's Manor, the house to which it originally related, was built, and is shown on "Pink's Accurate Map" of 1789
* Group value: it forms part of a country house complex as although it is now in separate ownership, it is located within a country park still visually linked to the main house, Douce's Manor, which is listed Grade II*.
* Intactness: it retains an intact domed chamber, although the entrance and any possible superstructure has not survived.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings