History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bridge on Bank Hall Drive Adjacent to Down Lee Farm

A Grade II Listed Building in Chapel-en-le-Frith, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3136 / 53°18'48"N

Longitude: -1.9226 / 1°55'21"W

OS Eastings: 405255

OS Northings: 379627

OS Grid: SK052796

Mapcode National: GBR HZ03.KW

Mapcode Global: WHBBD.FZQ4

Entry Name: Bridge on Bank Hall Drive Adjacent to Down Lee Farm

Listing Date: 11 February 2011

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1396455

English Heritage Legacy ID: 507819

Location: Chapel-en-le-Frith, High Peak, Derbyshire, SK23

County: Derbyshire

District: High Peak

Civil Parish: Chapel-en-le-Frith

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Chapel-en-le-Frith St Thomas a Becket

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Chapel en le Frith

Listing Text

CHAPEL EN LE FRITH

178/0/10009 BANK HALL DRIVE
11-FEB-11 Bridge on Bank Hall Drive adjacent to
Down Lee Farm

II
Bridge of 1830 by John Frith

MATERIALS: Constructed of coursed Ashlar grit stone blocks.

EXTERIOR: The bridge comprises a low arch with a flat string course, mounted by low parapet walls. The parapets stand to a height of approximately 0.75m above the road surface, with low square pilasters at each end, decorated with an embossed eight-pointed star set within a diamond. The parapets are capped with a curved, decorative coping.

HISTORY: The bridge was built in 1830 by John Frith and, central to the eastern parapet wall, carries a date stone which reads 'JF1830'and is embellished with folate and fluted decoration. The bridge is situated on the drive to Bank Hall, once the seat of the Frith family. The current Bank Hall was rebuilt in the 1870s and is listed at Grade II, as are the gates and gate piers. John Frith was the last in the direct line of the Friths, and the brother of Squire Frith. Squire Frith was a Justice of the Peace, Deputy Lieutenant for the county, High Sheriff of Derbyshire in 1781, and colonel of the Bowden Chapel volunteers, formed in response to Napoleonic invasion threats.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION
The bridge adjacent to Down Lee Farm on Bank Hall Drive, Chapel en le Frith is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* Architectural Interest: For its simple, but carefully executed, embossed decorative detail and date stone.

* Historic Interest: For its association with John Frith, a prominent figure locally, and part of an influential family nationally.

* Group Value: For its association with Bank Hall (listed Grade II), the related gates, gate piers and screen (also listed Grade II), as well as other listed bridges in the village of similar date and style.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.