History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mickleover War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Mickleover, City of Derby

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9039 / 52°54'14"N

Longitude: -1.547 / 1°32'49"W

OS Eastings: 430569

OS Northings: 334149

OS Grid: SK305341

Mapcode National: GBR P2N.1C

Mapcode Global: WHCFV.68MM

Entry Name: Mickleover War Memorial

Listing Date: 2 February 2016

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1431898

Location: Derby, DE3

County: City of Derby

Civil Parish: Non Civil Parish

Unitary Authority Ward: Mickleover

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Mickleover All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Kirk Langley

Summary

First World War memorial, dedicated 1920, with Second World War additions of 1949. It was sculpted by W Gadsby and Company of Derby.

Description

First World War memorial, dedicated 1920, with Second World War additions of 1949. It was sculpted by W Gadsby and Company of Derby.

MATERIALS: of Hopton Wood limestone

PLAN: it is square on plan.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial takes the form of a Latin cross and comprises a two-step base, a trapezoidal plinth with a moulded top and a tall, plain shaft which tapers in rectangular section to a plain cross head. Fixed to the south-east side of the plinth is a bronze plaque which reads: 'TO THE GLORIOUS DEAD / OF MICKLEOVER / 1914-1919/ [Names]'. On the north-west side there is a second plaque reading: 'TO THE GLORIOUS DEAD / OF MICKLEOVER / 1939-1945 / [Names].

The memorial stands on the south side of the churchyard in a square, paved area that is further subdivided around its base by kerb stones with stone vases. The vases are inscribed: 'BRITISH LEGION / MICKLEOVER'.

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 25 January 2017.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. One such memorial was erected in the churchyard of All Saints in Mickleover to commemorate the 26 local men who died. It was unveiled and dedicated on 23 May 1920, with the building of a village institute on Station Road being the second part of the commemoration scheme. A second dedicatory inscription was unveiled on 6 November 1949 to commemorate the 20 local men who died during the Second World War.

Reasons for Listing

Mickleover war memorial, dedicated in 1920, with Second World War additions of 1949, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* Historic interest: it is a poignant reminder of the impact of tragic world events upon an individual community and, thus, has strong cultural and historical significance within both a local and national context;

* Design interest: as an accomplished and well-executed memorial which takes the simple form of a Latin cross;

* Group value: with the Church of All Saints (listed Grade II*).

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.