This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9921 / 55°59'31"N
Longitude: -3.4879 / 3°29'16"W
OS Eastings: 307283
OS Northings: 678685
OS Grid: NT072786
Mapcode National: GBR 1X.VGCJ
Mapcode Global: WH5R4.DNB6
Entry Name: Midhope Castle
Listing Date: 22 February 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331012
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB630
Building Class: Cultural
County: West Lothian
Traditional County: West Lothian
KEEP: 16th cent. Square. 4 storeys (with garret) on laigh floor. Random rubble. Corbie-step-gabled. Slated roof. Angle turrets of ashlar. Renaissance doorway (segmental pediment with initials G.L.) approached by stair.
INTERIOR: Turnpike stair projecting internally.
E. WING: 17th cent. 3 storeys and laigh floor. Old lintel re-used over entrance.
INTERIOR: Vaulted laigh floor. 1 scale-and-platt stair of oak. Several rooms retain portions of panelling and plaster cornices.
WALLS: on S. forming court.
GATEWAY: 17th cent. semi-circular arch. Ashlar. Panel (inset now gone) Ball finials.
Derelict. Originally belonged to Drummonds. Passed to Livingstones, Earls of Linlithgow. Acquired by Hopes 1678 to form part of Hopetoun Estate.
Other nearby listed buildings