This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.7467 / 55°44'48"N
Longitude: -4.6545 / 4°39'16"W
OS Eastings: 233477
OS Northings: 653562
OS Grid: NS334535
Mapcode National: GBR 38.BYTP
Mapcode Global: WH2NB.GTSC
Entry Name: Willowyard
Listing Date: 2 December 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331418
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB963
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Ayrshire
Locality: Kilbirnie and Beith
Traditional County: Ayrshire
1727 (dated). 3-bay 2-storey and attic former farmhouse with steep crowstepped gables; later large extension to S and porch to W (both out-of-keeping with original building). Random yellow sandstone rubble; raised window margins; raised angle margins with corniced caps; moulded eaves course.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 3 bays. Later 20th century piend-roofed porch to centre R; flanking single windows, 3 to 1st floor.
E (REAR) ELEVATION: 3 bays. Later window surround to ground floor; door converted to window at R.
N GABLE: blocked opening to ground R; 1st floor window above; small blocked attic window.
INTERIOR: no surviving original features.
UPVC windows replacing timber sash and case windows. Grey slates laid in diminishing courses; coped ashlar end stacks.
Willowyard house dates from 1727 as '727J' or 'Z27J' is carved on the skewputt of the house. William Simson is recorded as the owner around the mid 18th century. By the late 18th century the place was a thriving farmstead and in the Edinburgh Advertiser of 1786, the lands of Willow Yards were for sale and described as follows: 'consisting of about 175 English acres of arable land, well enclosed and subdivided into fifteen fields, and let by one lease to three substantial tenants for 19 years at £130 per annum'. Upon this property there is a good house, and garden stocked with fruit trees, a malt mill and an elegant court of offices newly erected. A valuable flag and stone quarry has been opened in the ground and it is believed there are both coal and limestone in it'. There are about ten acres of wood and a good deal of timber on this farm; and thriving belts of planting surround the greatest part of it'.To encourage offers it will be exposed at £3000'' In the Heritors' Records of 1820-22 the owner of Willowyards is recorded as being Robert Steele and the lands were assessed as the 14th most valuable in the parish. In the Staistical Account of 1839 Alexander Shedden is noted as the owner. The 1st edition OS map of 1856 shows the house with adjacent U-plan outbuildings and circular horse-engine house. These buildings, together with the layout of the garden and woods, were in evidence on the OS maps of the early 20th century. Unfortunately, these no longer exist and late 20th century development has swamped Willowyard house. Now part of Willowyard Industrial Estate, the house remains an important reminder of a once prosperous estate, despite loss of the interior. The building is also significant as one of Beith's few remaining fine early vernacular buildings. The rubble walls would have been harled and the window and angle margins left as exposed dressed stone; the roof is likely to have been thatched originally.