This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9608 / 55°57'38"N
Longitude: -4.6475 / 4°38'51"W
OS Eastings: 234828
OS Northings: 677359
OS Grid: NS348773
Mapcode National: GBR 0H.XKWV
Mapcode Global: WH2MC.LF3R
Entry Name: Cardross, Main Road, Moore's Bridge
Listing Date: 8 September 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331640
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1155
Building Class: Cultural
County: Argyll and Bute
Locality: Helensburgh and Lomond South
Traditional County: Dunbartonshire
1688 datestone but late 19th century reconstruction. Rubble parapet with ashlar slab coping, clairvoyee at centre, rising to terminal piers; armorial plaque and datestone 1688 in pier to right; inscription in pier to left, "Not we but God Jean Watson"; decorative cast-iron railings at centre.
The bridge carries the road over the Kilmahew Burn. The original bridge dates from 1688 and the benefactress was Jean Watson, a native of Cardross, who married a Leith merchant called Moore. Fragments of this early bridge are incorporated into the present late 19th century bridge, widened when the new road was constructed.
Other nearby listed buildings