Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 57.6369 / 57°38'12"N
Longitude: -3.042 / 3°2'31"W
OS Eastings: 337886
OS Northings: 861252
OS Grid: NJ378612
Mapcode National: GBR L8VJ.WRD
Mapcode Global: WH7KP.79PT
Entry Name: Tynet, St Ninian's Church
Locality: Fochabers Lhanbryde
Traditional County: Banffshire
Listing Date: 26 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Building Class: Cultural
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1609
Source ID: 332291
1755, renovated 1787 and early 20th century, restored 1951,
Ian G Lindsay, architect. Simple long, low single storey
building with 10-bay S elevation with regular fenestration.
Harled, ashlar dressings. Plain square-headed entrance in
penultimate SW bay, doorway to sacristy in end E bay. 6
windows in rear N elevation; mainly 12-pane glazing. Ball
finial at W gable apex (circa 1787); stack at E gable; graded
Banffshire slate roof.
INTERIOR: simple whitewashed interior. Principal doorway
opens into entrance lobby with baptistry separated by flat
balustered railings. Doorway to church framed by (? re-used)
corniced doorpiece with fluted Corinthian engaged columns and
closed by pair 18th century fielded panelled doors with
modern partial glazing. Simple grey painted pews and
confessional; chancel separated by turned altar rails and
framed by reeded pilasters supporting simple wooden arch.
Small octagonal pulpit (1787) with octagonal sounding board,
fielded shaped panelling and moulded cornices.
Ecclesiastical buiding in use as such.
First surviving Roman Catholic church to be built in Scotland
after the Reformation. Replaced church sited in St Ninian's
burial ground, Chapelford, desecrated by soldiers in 1728.
Built by Father Godsman, incorporating dwelling of a 'poor
woman' as a 'cot for his sheep', as inconspicuous place of
worship. Until the building of St Ninian's, mass had been
celebrated in barns, frequently at night and the priest
travelling the countryside disguised as a farmer. With the
Braes of Glenlivet and the Arisaig-Moidart area of Lochaber,
the Enzie in historically strongly Roman Catholic.
St Ninian's was originally thatched, but slated in 1787,
re-using slates from the abandoned church at Chapelford.
Upgraded B to A, 24.3.88