This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.0373 / 55°2'14"N
Longitude: -3.1867 / 3°11'12"W
OS Eastings: 324256
OS Northings: 572068
OS Grid: NY242720
Mapcode National: GBR 6B56.W1
Mapcode Global: WH6Y2.0NT5
Entry Name: Bonshaw Tower and House
Listing Date: 3 August 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 334546
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3489
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Locality: Annandale East and Eskdale
Traditional County: Dumfriesshire
Rectangular-plan tower house, probably mid 16th century, with
1770 2-storey country house to NE, latter with classical
details and with various additions including 1841-2
alterations and additions by Peter Smith, mason and James
Scott, joiner, re-using material of the "old mansion house of
Bonshaw"; tower linked to house 1896 by low corridor. All
rubble-built with ashlar dressings; slated roofs. All
arranged around forecourt at head of steep cliff to E and to
Tower: 4 storeys, horizontal gun loops to elevations above
splayed base course, openings above mostly roll-moulded
bipartites or slits: corbelled plain parapet with
machicolations; crow-stepped gables (crow steps set forward
at NE over internal wheel stair) with end stack at S;
roof-pitch lowered, N-facing former attic light in gable apex
now serves as an open belfry. Corridor encloses tower outer
door and yett: roll-moulded doorway with cornice and panel
Interior: monogramed pendant boss within doorway; ground
floor vaulted, with prison cell and stone girnal, wheel stair
within NE angle; wide roll-moulded fireplace at principal
(1st) floor, stone window seats and aumbries; fireplace in
2nd floor, and garderobe.
House: precise development not clear; earliest part seemingly
a 1770 2-storey, 3-bay hose with Doric-columned and
pedimented porch and piended roof; E flank single bay; long
3-bay W elevation altered - possibly 1841-2 (though perhaps
earlier) - with full-height bow added to right, left bay
raised to full height. Continuous eaves band and cornice:
corniced stacks. Tall lean-to fills re-entrant angle;
crow-stepped service wing to N.
Link: roll-moulded slit openings and forecourt door; re-used bolection-moulded doorway incorporated in W wall; concealed
roof. Masked cavetto skewputt incorporated in interior wall.
Courtyard: crenellated low wall over steep slope largely
rebuilt 1895 (dated); some 17th-early 18th century stones
incorporated including roll-moulded jambs and broken
Listed category A for quality of tower.
Tower and later works for Irvings of Bonshaw.
Other nearby listed buildings