This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 57.2796 / 57°16'46"N
Longitude: -3.828 / 3°49'40"W
OS Eastings: 289887
OS Northings: 822475
OS Grid: NH898224
Mapcode National: GBR J9XH.36Q
Mapcode Global: WH5JS.59D7
Entry Name: Carrbridge Station
Listing Date: 21 October 1994
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 338294
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB6636
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Duthil and Rothiemurchus
Civil Parish: Duthil And Rothiemurchus
Unitary Authority Ward: Badenoch and Strathspey
Traditional County: Inverness-shire
Highland Railway, 1892. 2-platform through station with gabled, single-storey, timber and brick principal building on down platform.
W (PLATFORM) ELEVATION: central section recessed with awning infill supported on cast-iron columns and wooden brackets. Advanced gabled to right with slate-roofed canted-bay window; gable to left with later, timber signal cabin projection in similar style. End pavilions slightly advanced with gables to E (road) elevation. Windows irregularly spaced, three panes high with top hopper opening. Louvred ventilators in upper parts of rear gables. Open eaved roof with prominent rafter ends.
Timber framed windows. Grey slate to roof. Chimney stacks red and white brick, with stone copes: centre stack has octagonal cans. Stack at NW end rises from exposed brick chimney breast.
PLATFORM SHELTERS: single-pitch roofed, timber-clad shelter on up side and building in similar style on down platform.
FOOTBRIDGE: steel and cast-iron lattice-girder footbridge of standard Highland Railway type.
Carrbridge Station is the largest of the timber-clad station buildings built by the Highland Railway in the 1890s as part of their direct line to Inverness and one of only a small number that remain in operation (2013). The cast-iron columned, timber bracketed awning and polychromatic brick stacks are characteristic of Highland Railways station buildings of the period. The glazed outshot to the left gable originally housed signalling instruments and was added by the newly formed British Rail (Scottish Region) in around 1950 in a similar style to the timber-framed building.
List Description updated (2013).
Other nearby listed buildings