This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 57.0694 / 57°4'9"N
Longitude: -4.7986 / 4°47'55"W
OS Eastings: 230427
OS Northings: 801072
OS Grid: NH304010
Mapcode National: GBR GBJ1.8Q1
Mapcode Global: WH2FW.8K6X
Entry Name: Invergarry Church of Scotland
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 338572
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB6855
Building Class: Cultural
Civil Parish: Kilmonivaig
Unitary Authority Ward: Caol and Mallaig
Traditional County: Inverness-shire
Alexander Ross, 1864; enlarged 1896. Simple Gothic cruciform
building with long elevation north/south; all grey rubble
with tooled red sandstone dressings. Gabled projecting
entrance porch at SE with double leaf plank door; stumpy
broached spire at NW with pointed-headed louvred windows in
each face of tower linked by continuous hoodmould. Long
triple lancets light south and west gables; similar paired
lancets with bulls'eye light east gable; North and south
elevations lit by squat point-headed tripartites. Slate roof
with decorative tile ridge.
Interior: simple low interior; octagonal polished granite
pulpit with red granite panels; similar treatment to fort.
Tiled floors; plain grained wood pews. Various mural
monuments to members of Ellice family.
Simple coped rubble wall contains enclosure; pair low grey
granite square gate piers with red sand stone plinth and
shallow pyramidal cap; simple double wrought- and cast-iron
Drinking fountain dated 1872 built into wall.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Quoad Sacra parish of Glengarry established 1870. Plaque over
entrance door inside church reads "KIE, 1864. Enlarged by
Eliza S. Ellice, 1896" Memorials to Edward Ellice of
Glengarry and Glenquoich, died 1880. Also to Edward C Ellice,
1858-1934 and his wife Margaret 1865-1929.
Other nearby listed buildings