This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 58.0795 / 58°4'46"N
Longitude: -3.7466 / 3°44'47"W
OS Eastings: 297093
OS Northings: 911380
OS Grid: NC970113
Mapcode National: GBR K73C.QHK
Mapcode Global: WH5DY.F641
Entry Name: Lothmore, Loth Parish Church
Listing Date: 18 March 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 338954
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB7149
Building Class: Cultural
Civil Parish: Loth
Unitary Authority Ward: East Sutherland and Edderton
Traditional County: Sutherland
1822, modelled on Kintore Church by Archibald Simpson,
Aberdeen. Gothic; rectangular; coursed stugged ashlar,
tooled ashlar dressings and rusticated quoins. Wide
advanced centre bay at west gable, with hoodmoulded
centre entrance and dated plaque above; centre hoodmoulded
gallery window with simple Perpendicular tracery; diagonal
buttresses terminating with crocketted pinnacles with
stiff leaf finials; similarly detailed apex bell-cote.
North and south elevations lit by 3 large Gothic windows - detailed as in west gable. Barely advanced centre bay to
east gable with long paired centre windows, also with
Perpendicular tracery, flanked by small pointed-headed
entrances, blind to north. Small quatrefoil apex oculus;
saltire apex finial; single round finials with saltire
detailing decorate east flat skews.
Moulded eaves cornice at north and south wallheads
returning onto gable; lattice glazing; slate roof.
Interior; original fittings; 3-sided gallery with Gothic
detailing to front panelling, supported by cast-iron
clustered columns. Various mural memorial plaques,
including some to the Pope family of Navidale.
Ceiling inserted at gallery level cutting off hexagonal
wooden sounding board in situ over pulpit, painted delicate
shades of mushroom pale yellow and white. Urn finial; in
decorative bands of plaster frieze divided by simple string
courses decorate deep cornice, 1 row of vine leaves and
1 of palmette design.
Cusped panelled pulpit flanked by stairs. 1822 pews,
including long box pew in centre with centre communion table.
Church no long in ecclesiastical use. Former church site
and old Burial Ground just below present church; modern
burial ground to east. Helmsdale and Navidale in Loth Parish
until transferred to Kildonan Parish in 1841. Plaque over
door reads; IMPENSIS NOBILISSIN GEORGII GRANVILLII
LEVESON GOWER STAFFORDIENSIS COMITATUS MARCHIONI ET
NOBILISSIME ELIZABETHAE SUTHERLAND EUJUSDE COMTATU
MARCHIONE-SSAE SUTHERLANDIAE COMITISSAE. ANNO MDCCCXXII
Loth church copy Kintore Church, Aberdeenshire; Archibald
Simpson, 1819, as directed by Countess of Sutherland.
"The kirk at loth is well up. It is taken as your Ladyship
directed, from the one at Mintore". (letter from James Loch
to Countess. 12 Aug. 1821.) Built at cost of $1,504.2s.3d.
"A modern, handsome and commodious edifice" (c.1858).