Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.7506 / 55°45'2"N
Longitude: -4.7045 / 4°42'16"W
OS Eastings: 230357
OS Northings: 654113
OS Grid: NS303541
Mapcode National: GBR 36.BRLF
Mapcode Global: WH2N9.PQYD
Entry Name: Kilbirnie House
County: North Ayrshire
Locality: Dalry and West Kilbride
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Listing Date: 14 April 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Building Class: Cultural
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB7530
Source ID: 339439
Late 15th century rectangular-plan tower house with block
added at right angles in 1627. Rubble-built with ashlar
dressings. Tower originally had 4 storeys with 2 vaulted
floors; entrance by basement door in north east angle,
circular mural stair originally at same corner, but now
barely distinguishable. Long rectangular-plan addition
connected by round stair tower to south-east corner of tower
block: addition has central entrance under round-headed arch
and had corbelled angle towers; some corbelling remains, and
only wall over door stands above level of ground floor.
Destroyed by fire in 1757. Some garden walls to south.
Approached from south east by broad tree-lined avenue.
Built probably by Malcolm Crawford, the first of the
Crawfords of Kilbirnie; extension by John Crawford of
Other nearby listed buildings