This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 57.9827 / 57°58'57"N
Longitude: -4.4215 / 4°25'17"W
OS Eastings: 256909
OS Northings: 901838
OS Grid: NC569018
Mapcode National: GBR H7GM.FDW
Mapcode Global: WH3BR.1MS7
Entry Name: Achany House
Listing Date: 18 March 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 340056
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB8016
Building Class: Cultural
Locality: North, West and Central Sutherland
Traditional County: Sutherland
Late 18th/early 19th century with mid 19th century
additions and further late 19th century rear extensions.
Symmetrical 3-storey, 5-bay frontage the outer bays
projecting as circular drum towers. All harled with
tooled ashlar margins and dressings. Centre 3 bays appear
to form original core, with centre door with panelled
pilasters and door, and decorative fanlight. Mid-later
19th century bowed outer bays rising full height and
terminating in conical slate roofs with finials. 5
pedimented dormers rise through wallhead, the centre having
decorative detailing and ball finials; deep eaves band.
Canted ground floor bay window in each return elevation,
at east with flight of steps with decorative cast-iron
Former E-plan rear in-filled in late 19th century,
presenting 5-gabled north elevation (centre rear gabled bay
is stair well), fronted by further 2-storey, 5-bay
symmetrical wing, with 1st floor windows breaking eaves
under barge-boarded gables. Mainly 12-pane glazing; corniced
end and ridge stacks; slate roof.
Interior: curved ended parlours flank centre entrance hall
with contemporary pannelled doors and window shutters;
bowed panelled cupboard doors and decorative plaster friezes.
Mid 19th century long narrow dining and drawing rooms flank
centre 3-bay portion.
House plans in possession of present owner show thick,
outside walls, between centre 3 and outer bays, the
the additional outer bays being long and narrow drawing
and dining rooms in ground floor. Seat of Munro's, and later
Rose's of Achany. Purchased by Sir James Matheson in 1840
(see Matheson Memorial, Lairg). East and west canted bay
windows appear on 1st ed. OS, 1874, but not rear additions.