History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Kirkland, Glencairn Parish Church and Churchyard

A Category A Listed Building in Glencairn, Dumfries and Galloway

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.1941 / 55°11'38"N

Longitude: -3.8724 / 3°52'20"W

OS Eastings: 280906

OS Northings: 590471

OS Grid: NX809904

Mapcode National: GBR 18DC.FV

Mapcode Global: WH4TP.HP7Z

Entry Name: Kirkland, Glencairn Parish Church and Churchyard

Location: Glencairn

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Parish: Glencairn

Locality: Mid and Upper Nithsdale

Traditional County: Dumfriesshire

Listing Date: 3 August 1971

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Building Class: Cultural

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB10312

Source ID: 342743

Description

William MacCandlish of Dalry, architect. Built 1836. Gothic

church with north transept, forming T-plan; central 4-stage

square tower on south wall. Symmetrical. Rubble-built with

ashlar dressings. Door and window openings all hood-moulded

with pointed heads, windows to body of church with elaborate intersecting (wooden) tracery and small panes. Tower has door

with fanlight, moulded and shafted reveals, facing south. 2nd

stage reaches above eaves, each face with tall lancet to 2nd

stage; blind quatrefoil to 3rd stage, louvred lancet belfry

opening to 4th. Clasping pilaster strips become octagonal

angle shafts at top stage, these rise above crenellated

parapet, with pinnacles. 2 large windows to each side of

tower. East and west gables each have door (blocked west)

below short gallery window and full-height flanking windows.

Transept has unusual arrangement of large arched opening with

north window and 3 doors recessed on north wall. Saw-tooth

skews; pinnacles over gables and over clasping angle pilaster

strips. Low vestry in north east re-entrant angle. Slate

roofs.

Interior: 3 galleries each on Tuscan columns, octagonal oak

pulpit and communion table on south wall not original; white

marble monument on east wall by H. Rouw of London, to Walter

Ross Munro (d.1816); also bronze bust of Rev Patrick

Borrowman by James Paterson ARSA, (1900) removed from Free

Church circa 1960; leaded glass window dated 1948.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. 2 schemes proposing

alterations to church by Peter MacGregor Chalmers not

executed (drawings in church).

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.