History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Crawfordton House School

A Category B Listed Building in Glencairn, Dumfries and Galloway

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.1949 / 55°11'41"N

Longitude: -3.8925 / 3°53'33"W

OS Eastings: 279626

OS Northings: 590592

OS Grid: NX796905

Mapcode National: GBR 188C.2L

Mapcode Global: WH4TP.5PND

Entry Name: Crawfordton House School

Location: Glencairn

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Parish: Glencairn

Locality: Mid and Upper Nithsdale

Traditional County: Dumfriesshire

Listing Date: 26 June 1986

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Building Class: Cultural

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB10343

Source ID: 342781

Description

Peddie & Kinnear, architects. Dated 1865. Scottish Baronial
mansion house; asymmetrical; 2 storeys and attics over raised
basement. Snecked, bullfaced ashlar, polished dressings, rope
and roll-mouldings; strings, corbelled angle turrets,
crow-stepped gables, finialed and pedimented dormer heads.
Single or mullioned windows. 4-storey square tower over
entrance bay, corbelled and machicolated, conical-roofed cap
house over stair turret. North elevation: off-centre
flat-roofed porch linked to main elevation by curved
passageway, foliate decoration below parapet, pedimented
datestone over architraved door. Round-headed window above in
tower with columned jambs and arched head, corbelled
semi-circular balcony. Slightly advanced outer gables, angle
turret at north west, conical roof above cut off to support
columned belfry with conical roof. Adjoining low service wing
returns north; modern classroom addition (excluded from
listing) to north east angle. East elevation: outer bays
canted, and corbelled to square below gables; full height
circular turrets to inner re-entrant angle at left; boldly
corbelled balcony to inner bays above basement level, arcaded
balustrade South elevation: 4-light ground floor window in
projecting square bay; 2 tall wall head stacks, south west
angle turret corbelled above basement, corbelled to square
and gabled at 1st floor; 3-light stair window with stepped
cills and pedimented gable faces east. Wall head, apex and
axial stacks, some off-set, mostly with decoration below
cope. Slated roofs.
Interior: ground floor ceiling cornices mostly have foliate
decoration; similar ornament to chimney pieces. Steps lead
from main door into entrance hall; staircase has twisted
wooden balusters with pendants below newels. Library has
fitted bookshelves: large room adjoining (at south east) has
ribbed ceiling. Partly enclosed by rubble-built
irregular-plan terrace wall with ashlar parapet and piers.

Statement of Interest

Built for George Walker of Crawfordton. Purchased by school

1940.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.