Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9014 / 54°54'4"N
Longitude: -3.5769 / 3°34'36"W
OS Eastings: 298979
OS Northings: 557430
OS Grid: NX989574
Mapcode National: GBR 3CGR.DS
Mapcode Global: WH5XJ.02ZC
Entry Name: Arbigland House
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Traditional County: Kirkcudbrightshire
Listing Date: 4 November 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Building Class: Cultural
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB10398
Source ID: 342851
Classical mansion house built for and probably designed by William Craik of Arbigland. Chimneypiece dated 1755 may date house. 2 storeys over raised basement; symmetrical flanking wings; some alterations and additions. Coursed and squared rubble with contrasting red ashlar dressings and rusticated quoins. South elevation: 5 bays; 3 inner bays advanced and pedimented with giant Ionic pilasters, ground floor pushed
unfortunately forward and corniced square porch added in 2nd quarter 19th century (latter has pedimented doorcase and rusticated quoins); outer windows in lugged architraves, segmentally-pedimented ground floor windows with aprons, windows above have bracketted cills. Base course and cornice; urn finials to low parapet; dormers; symmetrically
placed margined and corniced stacks; flanking wings have canted fronts with single windows and facetted roofs with apex urn finials; linked to main house by single bays with alcove niches. House has 3-bay flanks. Inner bays of north elevation also advanced and pedimented, off-centre bow added probably late 18th century; fenestration altered, some windows now mullioned; single wooden oriel; square addition to east and to west of house linked with wings; slated roofs.
Date from owner. William Craik is know to have been an architect of some competence, and it would be surprising had he not designed at least some of the 18th century buildings on the estate, including probably, his own house. 1833 sketch in NMRS shows front before additions, with perron; additions shown on 1st ed OS (1851).
Well maintained gardens (open to the public) include some architectural features including wellhead with decorative iron pulley bracket, and loggia in walled area said to mark site of earlier house. Arbigland House, former stables, Gatepiers and Walled Garden form an A group.
Other nearby listed buildings