This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 56.2375 / 56°14'14"N
Longitude: -5.0736 / 5°4'24"W
OS Eastings: 209613
OS Northings: 709241
OS Grid: NN096092
Mapcode National: GBR 00.BS90
Mapcode Global: WH1JP.1H94
Entry Name: Inveraray Castle
Listing Date: 20 July 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 344143
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB11552
Building Class: Cultural
County: Argyll and Bute
Locality: Mid Argyll
Traditional County: Argyllshire
1744-61. Roger Morris, Architect; William and John Adam,
Masters of Works. Completed 1772-85. Robert Mylne, Architect. Quadrangular. 2 storeys and basement. (Attic with gabled
dormers added 1878). Round 3-storey corner towers (conical
roofs added 1878). High square central tower. Ashlar (lapis
ollaris). Slate roofs. Crenellation. String-courses. Pointed window-openings (round-headed spandrels inserted 1777 by
Mylne). Entrances on N.E. and S.W. sides, moulded pointed
doorways; 'Gothic' 2-span Bridges over Fosse. Damaged by fire
1877. Splendid Georgian interiors by Mylne: Drawing Room;
Dining Room; Saloon. Also high 'Gothic' Central Hall.
Seat of Dukes of Argyll. Built for 3rd Duke. Foundation stone
laid October 1746. Completed and decorated for 5th Duke.
Replaced old Inveraray Castle (built c.1450 for Sir Colin
Campbell of Glenorchy, later to his nephew, Colin, the 1st Earl
of Argyll) the site of which lies a few yards to E.
Other nearby listed buildings