This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 56.0086 / 56°0'30"N
Longitude: -5.2174 / 5°13'2"W
OS Eastings: 199512
OS Northings: 684184
OS Grid: NR995841
Mapcode National: GBR FDHT.WDL
Mapcode Global: WH1KR.T7PM
Entry Name: Kilmodan Church
Listing Date: 20 July 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 344405
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB11800
Building Class: Cultural
County: Argyll and Bute
Traditional County: Argyllshire
1783. Georgian. T-plan. Rendered front. Harled ends and rear. Piended slated roof. Band-courses. Segmental-arched windows. Inset (from earlier kirk) with shields, one inscribed 'SDC/1610.' Central pavilion with oculi and 'bird-cage' belfry. Interior: Lit by cupola. Lofts in 3 arms. 2 long narrow Communion tables. Memorial to Rev John Maclaurin
(Minister 1689-1699) and his famous sons.
In Ecclesiastical use. Renovated 1937. On site of earlier church and near site of St. Modan's Chapel. Sir Dugald Campell of Auchinbreck, 1st Bt., had his chief stronghold at Auchinbreck Castle (fragmentary remains at Achnabreck Farm) which had passed to his great-great-grandfather
Scheduled Area: 23 December 2004. SAM 90318.