This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 57.798 / 57°47'52"N
Longitude: -6.8801 / 6°52'48"W
OS Eastings: 110163
OS Northings: 889171
OS Grid: NG101891
Mapcode National: GBR 98D3.PFG
Mapcode Global: WGX3Q.9819
Entry Name: Harris, Manish Free Church
Listing Date: 8 November 1991
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 345651
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB12754
Building Class: Cultural
County: Na h-Eileanan Siar
Locality: Na Hearadh agus Ceann a Deas nan Loch
Traditional County: Inverness-shire
1853 church with manse alongside (listed seperately) established
in great measure through the efforts of Iain Godha (John Morison), bard and evangelist. All harled; slate roofs.
CHURCH: unusual double-pile design with M-shaped roof. Flat-
lintelled single windows, sash and case, with horizontal glazing
pattern; 3-bay east entrance front with pointed Gothic openings,
doorway in shallow advanced gable, blind outer windows. Low gabled vestry outshot on west flank (ie behind pulpit); also modern lavatory addition. Inside, cast-iron columns support valley roof; v-lining to ceiling, dados and behind pulpit; plain timber panels to pulpit and to precentor's box. Iain Godha was a blacksmith to trade, and he is believed to have contributed to the building of the church, eg by provision of ironwork such as hinges in pulpit, etc.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Design compares with that of Plockton Free Church.