This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 57.742 / 57°44'31"N
Longitude: -6.9657 / 6°57'56"W
OS Eastings: 104624
OS Northings: 883311
OS Grid: NG046833
Mapcode National: GBR 9868.67T
Mapcode Global: WGW2Q.ZN5S
Entry Name: Harris, Rodel, House
Listing Date: 30 March 1994
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 345843
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB12908
Building Class: Cultural
County: Na h-Eileanan Siar
Locality: Na Hearadh agus Ceann a Deas nan Loch
Traditional County: Inverness-shire
Late 18th/early 19th century, presumably part of the development programme at Rodel by Captain MacLeod of Harris in the 1780's. [MacLeod had purchased the island from the MacLeods of Harris, and had moved there to stay in about 1782 (Knox, p158)]. 2-storey with low ground floor, forestair on front wall to centre door at first floor (single 1st floor windows in outer bays; small lights at altered ground floor); ground floor entered from rear - 3 doors - suggesting a use as storage (partly used as stabling/byre). Rendered rubble, at least one ground floor opening at front wall is blocked, some other openings may be altered (unusual glazing, 19th century, first floor casement
windows with cross-shaped principal divides - similar pattern to
that on corrugated iron buildings at Rodel Hotel, nearby);
boarded doors throughout; corrugated iron roof; skews; and
stacks. Walled close at rear, low and roofless rectangular -plan
outbuilding recessed at right with flat-arched cart opening on flank to close; walls otherwise blind, but for series of slit ventilators, again suggesting original function to have been storage. Joist holes indicate existence formerly of a loft storey.
A brief account of developments at Rodel begun c.1782 is given in
J Knox, THE HIGHLANDS AND HEBRIDES IN 1786, p156. That part of the ground floor containing byre/stable (ie the north end, the room to the right, viewed from road) may be a conversion from a previous function; in this room can be seen a blocked window on the front wall.