History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Arran, Lamlash, Arts Centre

A Category B Listed Building in Kilbride, North Ayrshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.5398 / 55°32'23"N

Longitude: -5.1201 / 5°7'12"W

OS Eastings: 203225

OS Northings: 631764

OS Grid: NS032317

Mapcode National: GBR FGQ2.CGR

Mapcode Global: WH1N4.B02Y

Entry Name: Arran, Lamlash, Arts Centre

Location: Kilbride

County: North Ayrshire

Parish: Kilbride

Locality: Ardrossan and Arran

Traditional County: Buteshire

Listing Date: 4 June 1992

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Building Class: Cultural

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB12994

Source ID: 345966

Description

1885. Early English. Cream sandstone polished ashlar dressings, with pale brown sandstone courses. E bay narrower than 5 western bays, stone spire in SE re-entrant angle.

E ELEVATION: arched and gabletted central porch with trefoil head and gabletted buttresses. Plain tympanum. Small lancets flanking, with full-height buttresses beyond. 3-light lancet window above, with small cinquefoil window in gablehead. Lancets and cinquefoil have hoodmoulds. Spire has 2-stage buttresses tower at base with single lancet at ground and tall Y-traceried window at 1st with gablet having triple blind lancet in head. Frieze at top of tower with inset panels, cornice and square pyramidal spire with lucarnes and iron weathervane. S side of tower and spire similar to front, N and E sides have upper part of tower cut by roof. Body of church is 5-bay, with prominent gabletted buttresses separating bays, each of which contains lancet. 3 slated louvered ventilators on each slope of roof which is slated. W end and interior not seen.

Statement of Interest

Erected by Duke of Hamilton to replace a church of 1774. Being converted to arts centre (1992).

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.