This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.5318 / 55°31'54"N
Longitude: -5.1296 / 5°7'46"W
OS Eastings: 202585
OS Northings: 630906
OS Grid: NS025309
Mapcode National: GBR FGQ2.T9X
Mapcode Global: WH1N4.57K1
Entry Name: Arran, Lamlash, Whitehouse Lodge
Listing Date: 28 January 1994
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 346608
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB13451
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Ayrshire
Locality: Ardrossan and Arran
Traditional County: Buteshire
Possibly George Paterson, late 19th century. Single storey and attic, basically rectangular-plan lodge. Coursed bull-faced red rubble sandstone, ashlar dressings, piended and gabled slate roof with crenellated terracotta ridge tiles. Base course, eaves course; windows with thickly moulded timber frames, deep lintels, some with scrolled pediments, piended dormers; deep boarded eaves; coped and harled ridge stacks.
FRONT ELEVATION: panelled door with ashlar doorcase and scroll pediment to slightly recessed bay at left, projecting window to right, cross window above with decorative pediment; curtain wall recessed to right masking yard.
LEFT RETURN ELEVATION: window to centre flanked by narrow ventilator-slit windows, each with scrolled pediment, dormer above.
REAR ELEVATION: cross window to centre, door to left, canted former, outbuildings with stack to far left.
INTERIOR: (seen 2012). Original room layout largely intact. Straight stair; some simple cornicing; some timber boarding.
This is a good example of a little altered, late 19th century lodge, situated on a main road and with some interesting decorative detailing. The deep eaves, scrolled pediments and red ridge tiling all add to its interest and it is a significant addition to the streetscape. The 1896 Ordnance Survey Map shows a separate small block to the immediate west of the property, which may have been a wash house. By the Ordnance Survey Map of 1905, this has been incorporated into the lodge.
The lodge was built to be the lodge for the Whitehouse Mansion (now demolished), which stood to the west and which was the home of the Patersons while they were factors to the Dukes of Hamilton. It was latterly a hotel, before being demolished in the 1980s.
George Paterson worked for the Hamilton Estate Office in the 1880s and may have been responsible for the building.
List Description updated, 2012.
Other nearby listed buildings