This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9009 / 55°54'3"N
Longitude: -2.7518 / 2°45'6"W
OS Eastings: 353086
OS Northings: 667787
OS Grid: NT530677
Mapcode National: GBR 9076.1J
Mapcode Global: WH7V4.PYS5
Entry Name: Gifford, Gifford Bank and Gate Piers
Listing Date: 5 February 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 348093
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB14675
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Lothian
Civil Parish: Yester
Unitary Authority Ward: Haddington and Lammermuir
Traditional County: East Lothian
Early 19th century. 2-storey, 3-bay classical mansion with
single storey wings. Squared and snecked pink sandstone with
regrettably heavy pointing and paler dressings to S elevation;
rubble sides and rear. Base, 1st floor cill and blocking
courses to S elevation and moulded cornice, to all bays;
tablests above centre bay and wings.
S ELEVATION: slightly advanced bay at centre with broad,
pilasters and corniced doorcase; carved capitals and paterae;
tripartite doorway with segmentally arched fanlight; 1st floor
window above. Slightly recessed segmentally arched panels on
flanking bays, with tripartite windows, ashlar mullions;
1st floor windows. Similarly detailed tripartite windows
in outer, slightly recessed wings.
N ELEVATION: low, piend-roofed service block adjoined to E
wing at rear, with further single storey outbuilding at N end.
Slightly later piend-roofed stairblock addition to centre
of 2-storey bays. Small-pane glazing patterns in sash and
case windows. End stacks; original cans. Purple slates to
GATEPIERS: corniced pink ashlar gatepiers to S, with pyramidal
Gifford Bank resembles the design by James Burn of the
Bank of Scotland, Court Street, Haddington, 1802-3, and
that of Stottencleugh, Oldhamstocks. Walled garden
and gardener's cottage lie to E of Gifford Bank, not
included in current listings.
Other nearby listed buildings