This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9032 / 55°54'11"N
Longitude: -2.7476 / 2°44'51"W
OS Eastings: 353353
OS Northings: 668040
OS Grid: NT533680
Mapcode National: GBR 9075.YQ
Mapcode Global: WH7V4.RWTD
Entry Name: Gifford, the Square, Town Hall
County: East Lothian
Locality: Haddington and Lammermuir
Traditional County: East Lothian
Listing Date: 5 February 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Building Class: Cultural
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB14684
Source ID: 348105
Earlier 18th century former house, adjoined to clock
tower, rebuilt in 1884. Slightly later house (Dolphin
Cottage) flanking to E (listed separately); imposing
group effectively terminating the vista along the Fair
Green to the Yester House lodges.
3-BAY HOUSE: sited to W. 2-storey. White painted harling
with painted ashlar dressings. S elevation of 3 widely
spaced bays; door at centre with small-pane horizontal
fanlight and panelled door. Windows in flanking bays and
to each bay at 1st floor, under eaves. 2 windows to left
in W gable wall. 12-pane glazing pattern to sash and case
windows; grey slates; ashlar end stack and coping to skews.
CLOCK TOWER: centrepiece of range. Tall, 3-bay gabled
frontispiece with central clock tower. Stugged red
squared sandstone with ashlar dressings of lighter tone;
chamfered reveals; string course. Long flight of splayed
stone steps to door in advanced bay at centre, decorative
stone balusters to balustrade and panelled dies with
wrought-iron lamp standards. Door under steps all ground
level. Round-arched door with moulded surround and
hoodmould; 2-leaf boarded doors with small-pane fanlight.
Louvred round-arched bipartite above with hoodmould and
stepped apron, and bearing crested shield and stone plaque
inscribed "Erected 1887". Clock with Roman numerals under
eaves, further louvred bipartites to return sides. Cornice
to tower and slated spire with pierced square spirelet
ventilator at apex, terminating in decorative weathervane.
Narrow, round arched windows flank entrance bay.
Small-pane glazing pattern to sash and case windows.
Ashlar coped skews with ornate skewputts. Gable end stacks.
Later 19th century rectangular projection at rear to clock
tower, 3-bays wide with mansard roof.
Clock tower was 1st erected in 1775, replaced in 1887 when
the buildings were converted from parochial school to village
hall, in celebration of Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee.
The clock was presented at this date by Peter Burn Swinton,
the Yester estate factor. Group effect maintained, despite
differing heights of bays flanking tower block, by identical
Part of Gifford Village A Group.
Other nearby listed buildings