Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.0563 / 55°3'22"N
Longitude: -4.5866 / 4°35'11"W
OS Eastings: 234882
OS Northings: 576592
OS Grid: NX348765
Mapcode National: GBR 4C.RD7L
Mapcode Global: WH3SZ.J53L
Entry Name: Bargrennan Church
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Locality: Mid Galloway
Traditional County: Kirkcudbrightshire
Listing Date: 4 November 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Building Class: Cultural
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB17047
Source ID: 350896
1839. Rectangular-plan hall church. Rubble; coursed and pinned to S elevation. Granite dressings, some polished. Raised margins. Round-arched windows with fixed diamond-pane glazing. Coped skews and skew blocks. Small grey slates.
S ENTRANCE ELEVATION: shallow porch at centre, adjoined by flanking coped buttresses; blocking course to porch; round-arched doorway, with 2-leaf boarded door. Louvred oculus in gablehead. Gabled bellcote with round-arched opening and small bell; sawtooth skews and fleur-de-lis finial.
W ELEVATION: 3-bay; regular fenestration.
E ELEVATION: 3-bay; regular fenestration.
N ELEVATION: half-piended vestry adjoined to right; panelled door with fanlight to right and sash window to left to E return; boarded door to external closet to right of centre to N; corrugated iron lean-to adjoined to W return. Small coped stack to gablehead.
INTERIOR: rectangular hall. Painted plaster walls and boarded dadoes. Corniced flat ceiling. Pulpit at centre to N wall. Timber communion table (1969). Panelled door to vestry to left to N wall. Double-leaf door with leaded panes to vestibule at centre to S wall. Timber
pews. Long case clock (1857) between left and centre windows to E wall. Marble mural tablet (909) to right to N wall, in memory of the Rev John Barclay and Church restoration. Marble war memorial (1914-1919) mural table between centre and right windows to W wall.
Small pyramidal-capped granite gatepiers with ball finials.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such; Church of Scotland. Bargrennan Church was opened as a chapel of ease on 17 March 1939. Construction had commenced in 1838, and the Church could accommodate 207. Bargrennan was made a quoad sacra parish on 16 July 1862. Restoration work was carried out on the Church in 1909 as a tribute to the Rev John Barclay. Bargrennan was united with Monigaff on 9 May 1962.
Other nearby listed buildings