This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 58.4788 / 58°28'43"N
Longitude: -4.4182 / 4°25'5"W
OS Eastings: 259086
OS Northings: 957041
OS Grid: NC590570
Mapcode National: GBR H6G9.WDQ
Mapcode Global: WH38F.34BY
Entry Name: Tongue, St Andrew's Church
Listing Date: 18 March 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 352502
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18456
Building Class: Cultural
Civil Parish: Tongue
Unitary Authority Ward: North, West and Central Sutherland
Traditional County: Sutherland
Dated 1680; earlier core probably incorporating medieval chapel. Further additions and re-building in 1729/31, 1778 and 1862. Simple white harled cruciform church, with ashlar dressings. Earliest portion and original core runs east-west, with centre pointed-headed entrance in south elevation. Flat headed entrance with window above in centre of west gable approached by flight of steps leading to Laird's loft. Long wings at N and S, that to south with simple moulded doorpiece dated 1680 (to Minister's room). Single small pointed headed window in south gable and in north and south elevations of main body of church. 2 long
rectangular windows light east gable. Plain flat-headed doorway gives access to north wing, now serving as parish room. Lattice glazing. 19th century bellcote at west gable apex; cavetto skewputts; crowsteps; West Highland slate roof; stone ridge.
Interior; simple interior orientated to east; small gallery to west, (former Laird's Loft), with 18th century panelled front.
Burial ground and gate piers; rubble walls with dressed with simple stepped caps and pair cast-iron gates.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Church said to have been re-built in 1680 by Donald MacKay, Master of Reay on site of St Peter's Chapel (Teampull Pheader). Laird's Loft canopy, of Mackay Lords of Reay, in National Museum of Antiquities since 1951. Reay burial vault below gallery.