This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 57.1431 / 57°8'35"N
Longitude: -2.1269 / 2°7'36"W
OS Eastings: 392417
OS Northings: 805806
OS Grid: NJ924058
Mapcode National: GBR S7C.R5
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.9QFD
Entry Name: Aberdeen, Rubislaw, Queen's Cross, Statue of Queen Victoria
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 354454
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20011
Building Class: Cultural
Locality: Hazlehead/Ashley/Queens Cross
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Statue: C B Birch, ARA; plinth: Messrs Alexander Macdonald & Co.; 1893. Square-plan polished pink granite plinth reading "VICTORIA RI", surmounted by bronze statue of Queen Victoria holding a sceptre and orb.
The statue of Queen Victoria at Queen's Cross, marks the beginning of Aberdeen's West End. The statue itself was originally located on St Nicolas Street, and was moved to its present location in 1964 (when what is now Marks and Spencer was built). The statue replaced a Brodie marble of 1866 (now within the Town House). It was erected by the Royal Tradesmen of the city to commemorate Her Majesty's Jubilee. The statue was originally to have been marble, sculpted by Pittendreigh Macgillivray, ARSA, however this plan was not executed. Granite was the next possibility, but the statue was considered too small and delicate for this material. Finally a bronze was ordered from C B Birch, ARA, who had produced a marble statue of Queen Victoria for the Maharajah of Oodypore.
Other nearby listed buildings