This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 56.4624 / 56°27'44"N
Longitude: -2.9669 / 2°58'0"W
OS Eastings: 340513
OS Northings: 730452
OS Grid: NO405304
Mapcode National: GBR ZB8.9M
Mapcode Global: WH7RB.DTDP
Entry Name: Dundee, 2-4 Candle Lane, West Bond
Listing Date: 30 June 1989
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 361376
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB25194
Building Class: Cultural
Traditional County: Angus
David Baxter (Johnston and Baxter) 1907; large 4 and 5-storey and basement brick-clad bonded stores. Part timber-floored, part reinforcement concrete framed.
WEST BOND, corner of Candle Lane and Seagate, 5-storey dated 1907. Elevation of Seagate: 3 bays, tripartites with cill courses recessed within 4-storey arcade. 3rd floor Diocktion windows, drip moulds over arcade.
Corbelled crenellated parapet with central wall-headed crow-stepped gable contained arched window and date. 1st bay to Candle Lane similar, tripartites within recessed 5-storey arch and crow-stepped gable. 9 bays to right, single windows with end bipartites over ground floor doors, stone cill courses. Stacks removed. S and E elevations blank. Slate roof.
NORTH BOND TO SEAGATE: symmetrical 5-storey 7-bay facade. Ground floor arched windows, central corniced doorway formerly arched, but enlarged. Ashlar base, voussoirs and bands. Upper floors segmental arched windows with ashlar cill courses. Centre-bay and angles defined by pilaster strips of ashlar and brick stripes. Mutule cornice, central open pediment. Parapet with square section balusters and obelisk finials to pilasters.
MID AND SOUTH BONDS, TO TRADES LANE, in similar style, but with fewer stone details, 5 (Mid) and 4 (South)-storey, 8-bay asymmetrical blocks, arcaded ground floor with brick voussoirs, 3 arched corniced doorways with original doors, 1 entrance altered, pilaster strips and open pediments. Parapet with square balusters and dies but no urns. Some simple windows in S elevation. Return (to McLeish's) and elevation to yard blank. Flat concrete roofs.
INTERIORS: West Bond timber floors on cast-iron columns. Wide span timber and wrought-iron roofs. South, Mid and North Bonds reinforced concrete framed and floored on Hennebique system.
Rebuilt after Dundee's biggest fire in 1906 (?400,000 damage), for James Watson and Company, Whisky blenders. Blending ceased 1981, bonds closed 1987. An early large-scale use of reinforced concrete. The West Bond was originally John Robertson's.
For the others the Yorkshire Hennebique Contracting Co Ltd of Dundee and Leeds were probably employed as they were building the Eastern Wharf at the time, the first reinforced concrete wharf in Scotland. A small section of steel encased concrete had alone survived the fire. This encouraged Watson's to build a fully reinforced concrete frame.
Other nearby listed buildings