This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9697 / 55°58'11"N
Longitude: -3.1569 / 3°9'24"W
OS Eastings: 327888
OS Northings: 675798
OS Grid: NT278757
Mapcode National: GBR 8X7.1H
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.G6YV
Entry Name: Edinburgh, 5 Claremont Park
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 363449
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26726
Building Class: Cultural
Unitary Authority Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Thomas Hamilton, circa 1827. 2-storey, 3-bay classical villa with taller 1st floor and basement, single storey pavilions and screen (?) walls. Polished ashlar sandstone to front, coursed rubble to sides and rear. Base course, cill course to 1st floor windows, blocking course and eaves cornice. Unifying parapet over pavilions and screen walls. Architraved openings to main block; panelled aprons below ground floor openings; projecting cills to pavilion openings.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: entrance door to centre bay; panelled door with rectangular fanlight, framed by doorpiece of distyle fluted Ionic columns in antis with entablature above. Later full-height canted window to outer right; dividing string course. Painted cast iron ornamental window guards to outer left and centre 1st floor openings. Single window to each pavilion; depressed arched carriage doors with voussoirs in outer bays. Basement windows.
E AND W ELEVATIONS: single central window to 1st floor.
S ELEVATION: not seen (1995).
Plate glass timber sash and case windows to all openings; grilled at basement level. Grey slate piend and platformed roof. Ashlar wallhead stacks each comprising 7 grouped octagonal shafts with base and cornice.
INTERIOR: not seen (1995).
BOUNDARY WALL, GATEPIERS AND LAMP BRACKETS: ashlar dwarf wall with coping to street. Square-section ashlar gatepiers with shallow pyramidal caps and cast-iron lamp brackets.
Nos 5 and 6 originally identical apart from screen walls; canted bay added to No 5.
Other nearby listed buildings