This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9753 / 55°58'31"N
Longitude: -3.1673 / 3°10'2"W
OS Eastings: 327246
OS Northings: 676428
OS Grid: NT272764
Mapcode National: GBR 8T5.XH
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.92ZL
Entry Name: Edinburgh, 11, 13 Bernard Street
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 363598
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26783
Building Class: Cultural
Unitary Authority Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
William Lamb, 1815-16; Nos 11, 13 shortly after 1817, possibly raised by 2 storeys. 5-storey curved corner tenement block, shops at ground floor. Grey sandstone front, polished ashlar to ground, 1st and 2nd floor, stugged ashlar above, coursed rubble to rear. Shopfronts with continuous fascia and cornice, divided by shallow strip pilasters (except corner shop); 1st floor cill course; sawtooth string course below 3rd floor; band cill course at 4th floor (except curved corner); sawtooth eaves cornice; 1st floor windows architraved and corniced with alternately pilastered.
NE (BERNARD STREET) ELEVATION: 10-bay with single windows to each bay and floor, 4th from right blank bay; short wallhead stack to outer left. Common stair doorways Nos 3 and 13 panelled doors with rectangular plate glass fanlights. Nos 5,7 and 11 modern replacement shopfronts; No 9 late 19th century shopfront with recessed doorway to centre and slender mullions; No 1 divided by 3 pilasters from curved corner, original pilastered shopfront arrangement with smaller windows.
E (CONSTITUTION STREET) ELEVATION: 6-bay including 3-bay curved corner to right. Corner bays with tall single windows, original shopfront arrangement at ground floor with small outer windows flanked by single Ionic columns, paired Ionic columns flanking centre door, 'Waterloo Buildings? inscribed in frieze above. Bays to left with single windows above 2 shopfronts with original arrangement, multi-pane shop windows survive at No 32.
S AND W (REAR) ELEVATION: projecting stairtower to left and centre; gabled bay to outer left; M-gabled bays with apex stacks to outer right.
12-pane timber sash and case windows. Slate roof with lead flashings; 2 apex and 1 wallhead stack (see above), coped mutual stacks.
INTERIOR: tiled closes, rear stone stairs with cast-iron balusters and timber handrails.
Dean of Guild 30/6/1814. Shown on Kirkwood ?Edinburgh and Environs? 1817 and Thomson?s ?Plan of Leith and Environs? 1827; Gifford et al, EDINBURGH (1984), p470. Group with Nos 15-31 Bernard Street, 2-18 Bernard Street, 29-43 Constitution Street and Robert Burns Statue.
Other nearby listed buildings