This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9698 / 55°58'11"N
Longitude: -3.183 / 3°10'58"W
OS Eastings: 326259
OS Northings: 675827
OS Grid: NT262758
Mapcode National: GBR 8Q7.RH
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.26KV
Entry Name: Edinburgh, 230-250 Bonnington Road, Cardboard Box Works
Listing Date: 27 January 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 363996
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27047
Building Class: Cultural
Locality: Leith Walk
Traditional County: Midlothian
Stewart Kay & Walls, 1939, and extension in same style, 1946. 2-storey stripped Art Deco factory with strong horizontal emphasis and chamfered entrance bay. Brick-built, white render with broad window mullions and dressings to doorway of bottle-green glazed tiles. Long horizontal strip windows with artificial stone block cills and lintels.
SE (BONNINGTON ROAD) ELEVATION: 4-bay with splayed entranced bay to outer left (1946), glazed pilasters framing 10-panel oak door, 2 small windows flanking under projecting curved canopy, broad rectangular stair window above, stepped wallhead coping, central flagpole (re-used from old building, now truncated). Strip windows to ground and 1st floor of each bay arranged bipartite, quadripartite, tripartite, quadripartite (outer right window altered) from entrance. Secondary doorway framed by tiled pilasters set in window to bay to right of centre. Steel ventilators to wallhead.
SW (TINTO PLACE) ELEVATION: 1946; 3-bay with vehicular doorway to left, secondary doorway to right; single windows at 1st floor. Wallhead treated asymmetrically with gables.
Thin-sectioned multi-pane metal windows; corrugated-iron roof with shallow pitch and patent glazing skylights; ornamental gutterheads.
INTERIOR: not seen 1993.
Low rendered wall to SE.
Only the northernmost bays of the SE elevations date from 1939, the rest was rebuilt and extended in 1946. The cardboard works are a good example of modern industrial architecture.
Other nearby listed buildings