This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9732 / 55°58'23"N
Longitude: -3.1642 / 3°9'51"W
OS Eastings: 327437
OS Northings: 676186
OS Grid: NT274761
Mapcode National: GBR 8V6.K8
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.C4G7
Entry Name: Edinburgh, 8 - 9 Links Place, School
Listing Date: 29 April 1977
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 365105
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27776
Building Class: Cultural
Unitary Authority Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Early 19th century, substantially altered and extended for Leith School Board, 1875. 2-storey and attic 3-bay house with later side wings and additions. Cream sandstone, stugged ashlar front to main house, rubble to sides, coursed and squared rubble to side wings. Base course; chamfered reveals; eaves cornice.
SW (FRONT) ELEVATION: former doorway (now window) with architraved and pilastered surround to centre; regular fenestration to outer bays and 1st floor. 3 dormers (2 canted) with piended roofs. 2-storey 2-bay recessed wing to outer left with narrow pend to left, windows to right and above. Small single storey addition in re-entrant angle with doorway on return. Single storey recessed wing to outer right with corniced bipartite window to centre, single storey additions flanking; inscription dated 1875 at eaves level.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: rendered; much altered.
4-pane timber sash and case windows. Slate roof; 2 tall gablehead stacks.
INTERIOR: not seen 1993.
A building of similar plan type with pavilions is shown on Ainslie?s map of ?Edinburgh & Leith?, 1804.
Other nearby listed buildings