This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9747 / 55°58'28"N
Longitude: -3.1764 / 3°10'35"W
OS Eastings: 326678
OS Northings: 676367
OS Grid: NT266763
Mapcode National: GBR 8S5.2Q
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.53P2
Entry Name: Edinburgh, Leith, 5 Mill Lane, St Thomas' Schools and Asylum
Listing Date: 29 March 1995
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 365154
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27819
Building Class: Cultural
Unitary Authority Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
John Henderson, 1840. 2-storey, L-shaped block forming open courtyard with former St Thomas parish church and manse (listed separately), Jacobean details, part-refurbished (1992). Cream sandstone, droved ashlar with polished dressings, squared and snecked rubble to rear. Base course; continuous hoodmoulds to ground and 2nd floor; chamfered arrises; moulded skews; eaves line raised over each bay into lugged gables with blind round-arched windows and gabled dormerheads with blind roundels; grooved and corniced stacks.
S ELEVATION: 10-bay with regular fenestration; 2nd, 6th and 10th bay slightly advanced with shaped gables; doorways to 6th and 10th.
W BLOCK: 3-bay front elevation with deeply moulded doorway at centre accessed by steps, bipartite windows with timber mullions flanking; single windows at 1st floor; shaped gable with blank panel over centre bay. Return elevation to courtyard 4-bay with single windows and gables with gablehead stacks to outer bays. Return elevation to W as above with crenellations and gablehead stack to centre.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: reconstructed and extended in recent conversion.
Timber sash and case windows, W block mostly plate glass glazing, hospital block with modern 12-pane windows. Slate roofs; 5 gablehead stacks, mutual stacks.
INTERIOR: not seen 1993.
GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS: coped gatepiers and ornamental iron arrowhead railings.
B group with former St Thomas Church, now Guru Nanak Gurdawara Singh Sabha Sikh Temple (listed separately). Founded by Sir John Gladstone of Fasque as a memorial to his family. It consisted of the church, manse, schoolhouse and hospital for ten female incurables.
Other nearby listed buildings