This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9734 / 55°58'24"N
Longitude: -3.1677 / 3°10'3"W
OS Eastings: 327222
OS Northings: 676216
OS Grid: NT272762
Mapcode National: GBR 8T6.V6
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.94T1
Entry Name: Edinburgh, 46 Queen Charlotte Street, Warehouse
Listing Date: 29 March 1995
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 365224
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27875
Building Class: Cultural
Unitary Authority Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Circa 1910. 3-storey and attic, gabled 3-bay, stripped Edwardian baroque tenement, former warehouse with central pend and 4-storey flat-roofed brick building to rear. Cream sandstone, ashlar front and side gables, white glazed and variegated brick to rear to rear and sides. String course above ground floor; sloping cills; deeply chamfered reveals with arrises cut-away in roll-moulded bands, at ground and 1st floor with stylised banding; ground floor openings round-arched; 1st and 2nd floor windows in giant round-arched recessed panels.
N (FRONT) ELEVATION: pend opening to centre slightly recessed with iron lintel over and cast-iron pal stones; 1st and 2nd floor tripartite windows above with giant panel rising to semi-circular bipartite in gablehead; lugged gable with kneelers and shaped apex. Single windows to left bay. Tall doorway to right bay; single windows above.
W ELEVATION: white glazed bricks; single windows.
E ELEVATION: variegated brown brick; single windows to outer left bay.
Tilt and turn replacement windows (formerly barred). Steeply pitched green slate roof with metal flashings; 2 velux rooflights. Coped skews, moulded skewputts. Moulded eaves gutter and gutterheads.
INTERIOR: not seen 1993.
The former warehouse (now converted into residential and restaurant) has stylistic similarities with the large warehouse at Nos 45, 46 Shore of 1912 and could be by the same (unknown) architect: this could be T P Marwick as the building bears his stamp.
Other nearby listed buildings