This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.8492 / 55°50'57"N
Longitude: -4.2725 / 4°16'21"W
OS Eastings: 257822
OS Northings: 664116
OS Grid: NS578641
Mapcode National: GBR 0GQ.ZY
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.B7PR
Entry Name: Glasgow, 191-197 Scotland Street, Howden's Works
Listing Date: 17 June 1986
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 377279
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33533
Building Class: Cultural
Unitary Authority Ward: Govan
Traditional County: Renfrewshire
Nisbet Sinclair 1897, Bryden and Robertson 1907 and 1908.
East to West:
1. 2 ashlar square-section gatepiers. Lodge, 1897, advanced
from main W elevation, 2-storey ashlar. Ground floor 2 doors,
3 windows. 1st floor 2 windows, cornice, tall wallhead stack.
2. 1897 2-storey 9-bay offices ashlar, banded on ground
floor. Central doorway. Recessed windows with roll moulded
arrises and wooden frames. Cornice, parapet and 2 wallhead
stacks. Mansard roof, red tiles and large windows, added 1907
for drawing office. Cast-iron railings.
3. Advanced lodge, circa 1902, 2-storey (originally similar
to E lodge) with later top floor above cornice. Ashlar.
Ground floor 1 door and 1 window. 3 1st and 2nd floor
windows. 2 ashlar square-section gatepiers.
4. 2-storey 3-bay ashlar workmen's mess-room; cornice and
5. Machine shop, 1908, pressed brick, with 2 gables to the
street. Smaller gable has 6 window ground floor men's dining
room. 1st floor 5 modern windows. String course and arch
enclose blank oculus. Simple gable topped by small pediment.
6. Larger gable to W has original wide doorway, string
courses, arch projecting on corbels, blank oculus, small apex
pediment. Blank west wall, ordinary brick. Original
corrugated roof has been renewed.
Behind offices, excluding 2-storey office addition:
Bays 2-7: 1897 machine and constructing shop, 6 East-West
bays, each 30' tall with 28' spans. Steel frame with
cast-iron crane girder brackets. Brick walls with shafting
boxes. Roof of steel rings and tie-bar couples. Corrugated
Bays 8-10; 1898 sheet iron workers shop, extended probably in
1920s. 1898 Smithy, brick walls and steel tie roof.
Bays 11-13, circa 1902, 3 N-S fitting machine shops steel
framed and cast-iron brackets, slightly arched steel trusses.
1 bay contains new office.
Bay 14: 1908, tall 45' span fitting shop, steel framed, with
travelling crane. Steel truss roof.
South walls of bays 10-14, brick with tall arched gable for
bay 14. All now harled.
Howden's Works from 1898 to the present. Howden's "Forced
Draught" system patented 1882 achieved a great fuel
efficiency, and was fitted to the Mauritania, the Lusitania
and other ships. To concentrate on marine auxiliary
equipment, Howden needed the smaller bays erected here. Land
work was carried out after 1902, including in 1914 the
largest turbine generator in the UK. The much larger fitting
shop was added for these in 1908. A good example of buildings
responding to function. The large shops to the west added
1954 and 1964, are not listed, nor is the modern addition
over W. gate, or the 2-storey office behind main office.
Other nearby listed buildings