Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 56.1976 / 56°11'51"N
Longitude: -2.9967 / 2°59'47"W
OS Eastings: 338255
OS Northings: 701002
OS Grid: NO382010
Mapcode National: GBR 2H.FJQN
Mapcode Global: WH7SN.YH66
Entry Name: Leven, Victoria Road, St Margaret's Queen of Scotland Episcopal Church
Locality: Leven, Kennoway and Largo
Traditional County: Fife
Listing Date: 10 September 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Building Class: Cultural
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB37347
Source ID: 382421
Matthews and Mackenzie, Aberdeen, 1880; church hall 1902. Aisless gothic church with 3-bay nave, low chancel, transepts, porch and circular tower corbelled to octagonal belfry stage with slated spire. Squared and snecked rock-faced rubble with polished ashlar dressings. Base, partial moulded cill course and eaves course. Pointed- and basket-arched openings Sawtooth-coped battered buttresses; raked cills; hoodmoulds with label-stops; plate tracery. Voussoirs and stone mullions. Boarded timber doors with decorative ironwork hinges.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: nave with 3 plate-traceried windows, low porch projecting in bay to left with deeply chamfered reveals and low flanking buttresses, and tower (see below) in re-entrant angle to left. Transeptal chapel with raised centre 3-light window and flanking low buttresses projecting in penultimate bay to right, and bipartite window to outer right.
TOWER: squat 3-stage stair tower with spire. 1st stage with cill course and small window. Slightly reduced 2nd stage with 2 small stair windows and corbelled, polygonal 3rd stage louvered openings giving way to conical-roofed finialled spire.
N ELEVATION: 3 plate-traceried windows to nave, transept (vestry) with tripartite window and basket-arched door on return to left projecting in penultimate bay to left, and bipartite window to outer left.
E ELEVATION: broad gable with flanking buttresses and dominant raised centre 3-light window.
W ELEVATION: as E elevation but with trefoil opening in gablehead.
Leaded diamond pattern glazing and stained glass (see Interior) windows. Grey slates, fishscale pattern to spire. Ashlar-coped skews with gablet skewputts and stone Celtic cross finial to nave E.
INTERIOR: fine alabaster altarpiece (1900) with flanking alabaster panels, original stencilled decoration of fleur de lis and crowns, and timber choir stalls to chancel. Encaustic floor tiles, fixed timber pews, boarded dadoes and timber barrel roof. Stone pulpit and Baptismal font. Stained glass: E window depicting 'Crucifixion' (1900). 'Adoration of the Magi' and 'Christ among the Doctors in the Temple' (1908), and 'Baptism, Fasting, Temptation' by Margaret Chilton (1948) to S windows of nave. SS Brendan and Bride (circa 1950), Christ as Good Shepherd and Good Samaritan (circa 1930), and 'Let the Little Ones Come Unto Me' (G Maile Studios circa 1950) to N windows of nave.
BOUNDARY WALLS: saddleback- and semicircular-coped rubble boundary walls.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. St Margaret's was built during the ministry of Rev J Thomson, with some material coming from R C Carpenter's unfinished Burntisland Episcopal church of 1850. Consecrated by Bishop Wordsworth in August 1881, the church cost ?1700 excluding the belfry tower which was a gift from Sir Henry Gibson Carmichael.
Other nearby listed buildings