This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9794 / 55°58'45"N
Longitude: -3.1973 / 3°11'50"W
OS Eastings: 325384
OS Northings: 676919
OS Grid: NT253769
Mapcode National: GBR 8M4.V1
Mapcode Global: WH6SD.VYNZ
Entry Name: Newhaven, 46 Park Road and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 17 October 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390326
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43721
Building Class: Cultural
Unitary Authority Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Circa 1860. 3-storey, 3-bay Baronial house in own grounds with later additions to right and left; originally symmetrical. Stugged squared and snecked yellow sandstone to central block and later bay to outer right; rendered extension circa 1970 to left. Long and short stugged quoins; polished and chamfered surrounds to openings; advanced and corbelled entry bay. Gables to main block above each of the 3 bays; overhanging eaves.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: full-height advanced central bay, chamfered at ground, corbelled chamfer above; corbelled to square. Stepped hoodmould and painted architraved surround to central doorway; inset blank panel. Timber panelled door; plate glass fanlight. Single windows with projecting cills flanking doorway; single window to 1st floor. Projecting central gable; timber brackets; cruciform timber detail centred in gablehead; tapering finial. Single windows to both floors in bays to left and right of centre; 1st floor windows breaking eaves in gablehead. Segmental-arched dormer-heads detailed as central gable. Single windows to 1st and 2nd floors in bay to outer right, single doorway to ground floor; variety of openings in bay to outer left.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: octagonal turret to NW; tapering finial; weather vane; alternating bands of fishscale and diamond slates. Modern additions to rear.
4-pane timber sash and case windows to central opening at 1st floor and to both floors in bays to right and left of centre. 2-pane timber sash and case windows flank entry. 4-pane timber sash and case window in bay to outer right at 1st floor; variety of casement openings and dormers in bay to outer left. Grey slate roof in diminishing courses. Original octagonal cans to corniced gablehead stacks.
INTERIOR: glazed vestibule door with timber door and glass fanlight depicting anchor. Grand stair to 1st floor; blind round-arched alcove between floors marks original exterior wall and stair window. Service stair with cupola above to right. Some original cornice work. Internal arrangement altered to accommodate new function.
BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS: obelisk-shaped ashlar gatepiers flank entry to driveway. Original wrought-iron railings attached to left pier, iron fittings to right.
The circular driveway to the front of the house can be seen clearly on the 1876 Ordnance Survey map. Donated to the Church of Scotland by Henry Robb, a Leith shipbuilder (note the anchor depicted in the inner fanlight), the building is now a residential home.
Other nearby listed buildings