Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9463 / 55°56'46"N
Longitude: -3.1979 / 3°11'52"W
OS Eastings: 325285
OS Northings: 673233
OS Grid: NT252732
Mapcode National: GBR 8MH.QX
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.VSDV
Entry Name: Edinburgh College of Art Architecture School
Locality: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Last Amended: 17 July 2015
Source: Historic Scotland
Building Class: Cultural
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27974
Source ID: 405259
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: mansard-roofed centre pavilion with oeil-de-boeuf windows in roof; pedimented tetrastyle Roman Doric portico; 2-leaf timber panelled door with semicircular plate glass fanlight in heavily key-blocked round-arched opening; glazed inner door with fanlight. 8-bay linking blocks, regularly fenestrated (outer left bay has large 2-leaf door with glazed panel above - see Notes). Corner pavilions: paired windows to each floor flanked by giant Roman Doric columns and corner pilasters; stepped blocking course above.
W ELEVATION: corner pavilions: paired windows to each floor flanked by paired Doric pilasters (channelled pilaster strip to outer left). Single storey 5-bay balustraded linking block, regularly fenestrated (glazed door to outer left).
N ELEVATION: segmentally-pedimented mansard-roofed central block. 6-bay linking blocks with large windows and sky-lights to studios. Pedimented corner pavilions with paired windows to each floor flanked by channelled pilaster strips; key-blocked oeil-de-boeuf windows in pediments.
E ELEVATION: mainly obscured by later additions.
INTERIOR: coffered Doric-columned entrance hall leading to double-return stair with stone balustrade lit from lunette windows and octagonal cupola; paired Ionic columns and pilasters at 1st floor. Top-lit double-height (and double-cube) sculpture court: key-consoled arcade at ground floor supports 1st floor gallery with paired Ionic columns. Large-windowed studios on 3 floors to N.
Predominantly 6-pane metal-framed windows. Green slates. Tall stacks with triglyphed frieze and cornice.
RETAINING WALLS, GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS: bull-faced squared and snecked red sandstone retaining walls with ashlar parapet. Tall red sandstone channelled ashlar gatepiers with mutuled cornice and ball finials; low flat-arched footgate with heavy key-console to left; EDINBURGH COLLEGE OF ART in metal letters above. Decorative cast-iron gates and gate-posts.
Built on the site of the Municipal Cattle Market, which was to be moved to a new site at Gorgie. The western section was built from June 1907, then, when the cattle market was vacated, the eastern part, completed in 1912. The view from Johnston Terrace and the Castle esplanade were considered important, and the high French roofs were intended to make a picturesque contribution to the city sky-line.
The college was built round 2 rectangular courts, the western court (roofed over 1925) containing a glass pavilion for plein air painting, and a special passage for the entrance of horses and other animals; the eastern the double-height sculpture court, intended to house the collection of Antique casts begun by the Board of Manufactures in 1797; casts of the friezes from the Parthenon line the walls of the corridor. There were separate rooms for life-drawing classes for men and women, dressing apartments for models, and cloakrooms and kitchens in the basement.
Professor Rowan suggests that responsibility for the actual design of the building should be attributed to James Forbes Smith, with an input from George Washington Browne. The planning of the building (and its constitution) owes much to the sculptor James Pittendrigh MacGillivray, who prepared a report on the state of art education in Scotland and in Europe, and made a grandiose design for the building. The building benefited from a gift of £10,000 from Andrew Grant of Pitcorthie, MP for the Leith Burghs.
The College was built after Robert Morham s adjoining fire station (1897-1901, separately listed) the red sandstone and green slates echoing the materials of the latter.
The adjoining Architecture School Building (1960-2) and the Hunter Building (1977) were proposed for listing in their own right in 2013 and were not considered to be of special interest in their own right at the time of review.
Statutory address updated (2015). Previously listed as 'Lauriston Place, Edinburgh College of Art, including retaining wall, gatepiers and railings'.
Other nearby listed buildings