Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8414 / 51°50'28"N
Longitude: -3.0007 / 3°0'2"W
OS Eastings: 331152
OS Northings: 216336
OS Grid: SO311163
Mapcode National: GBR F6.V29S
Mapcode Global: VH790.YZ09
Entry Name: Church of St Teilo
Location: Just off the old Hereford road about 3km north of Abergavenny.
Community: Llantilio Pertholey
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Listing Date: 9 January 1956
Last Amended: 5 February 1998
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Source ID: 2002
The earliest build is the nave, north aisle and lower part of the tower which all date from the C13. The extent of the changes since make the form of the original church difficult to assess. The three chapels, the Triley, Neville and Wern-ddu appear to have been added in the C16. The south porch is medieval, but was partly rebuilt in the late C19. The south aisle is probably late medieval or C16 in origin but its present form seems to date from 1704. There was a major restoration c1890 by Kempson and Fowler and W D Caroe designed the chancel panelling c1920. There was a fire in 1974 which destroyed the organ; damage from this was restored by George Pace. The Tredilion Room was added in 1981 and designed by R Merton Jones. Two notable Vicars were Thomas Jones the poet who celebrated the publication of the Bible in Welsh in 1588; and A F Hogan (1872-1904) who restored the church.
Built of coursed rubble composed of purplish sandstone, fairly closely set, with some larger blocks of red conglomerate. The architectural ornament is in a medium grained sandstone with a colour from light red to yellowish fawn. The repairs of 1709 and the restorations of 1880-94 can be recognised through the different character of their stonework (both are dated), as can the Tredilion Room added in 1981. The roofs are all Welsh slates but the south slopes are of thick hand-split ones and those on the north slopes are smaller and machine cut.
The church consists of nave with integral two-bay chancel; short 2-bay north aisle; short 3-bay south aisle; north tower of one build with the north aisle; south porch; three chapels, the Triley Chapel opening from the north aisle, the Neville Chapel opening from the north side of the chancel, and the Wern-ddu Chapel opening from the south side of the chancel and the south aisle.
The west wall has the plain door and window of the Tredilion Room to the left under a single-pitch roof. The gable end of the nave has Victorian stepped buttresses at either side with a 3-light window with semi-circular headed lights within a pointed frame. This is of late C17 character but is said to date from 1729. The coping and gable cross are Victorian.
The south wall of the nave has the gabled south porch projecting from it. The angle between this and the nave contains the chest tomb of William Denston died 1839 with a spear headed railed enclosure attached to the church. The porch has a pointed arch doorway, 2-light window in the side walls, copings and gable cross. Sun dial above the door. The porch was partly rebuilt 1880-94 (dated). The rest of the south wall is the south aisle with three plain 3-light windows, and the gabled end of the Wern-ddu Chapel which has a recessed 3-light window with cusped heads and a stepped buttress to the right which is probably a Victorian addition, copings and gable cross.
The east gable wall of the chancel is largely a rebuild of the 1880-94 restoration with its 3-light window.
The north wall of the aisle has first the small Nevill Chaple with a plain 3-light window, then comes the the east gable of the north aisle with a 3-light Decorated probably C14 window. The north wall of the aislae is covered by the \triley Chapel which has two plain 3-light windows, and a plain doorway in the west wall of this. The tower abuts the west end of the aisle, This has two stages, a tall lower stage with small stair windows and a lancet on the west wall to light the interior. String course, bell stage with 2-light louvered openings with cusped heads, moulded string course with two water shutes, castellated parapet. The openings may be C14, the parapet will be a C15/C16 addition if it is not a part of the plate C19 restoration.
Finally in the angle between the tower and the west end of the nave is the Tredilion Room added in 1981. This has a plain 3-light window in the north wall.
The interior dates from a number of periods and is very confusing. The north nave arcade is of four bays; from the west, a Transitional arch into the tower, a pointed head punched hole in the wall without orders, a second Transitional arch and a Perpendicular one. The south nave arcade is of three bays; two are Perpendicular arches with octagonal piers, while the easternmost one is a punched hole in the wall. There are C16/C17 waggon roofs to both nave and north aisle, these have brattished wallplates, partly damaged. The compartmented roof of the south aisle is of C17 type, may date from 1709 but could equally be early C20, but there is no documentary evidence for this. The arcades separating the Triley Chapel and the Wern-ddu Chapel from the chancel are most remarkable. They are of oak and are early C16. They are of the same form, but with differing detail in the carvings, particularly the rosettes down the inner sides of the piers. The tower doorway is chamfered with a Caernarvon head; it has an ancient door with decorative strap hinges. The choir screen is in the C15 style but dates from 1891. The pulpit is in the Jacobean style but dates from 1893. The font is recut on old steps. There are two medieval oak pews with poppyheads which are said to have come from London. There are two reused stone altars. Four bells of 1508-46, 1665, 1792, 1792. Benefactions board. Chandeliers and oak vestry screen designed by George Pace. There are some good C18 inscribed memorials. The reredos to the High Altar is a WWI memorial designed by W D Caroe. Modern stained glass.
Included at Grade I as an especially fine medieval church with many features of interest and quality.
Other nearby listed buildings