Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8091 / 51°48'32"N
Longitude: -2.6865 / 2°41'11"W
OS Eastings: 352766
OS Northings: 212500
OS Grid: SO527125
Mapcode National: GBR FM.X86P
Mapcode Global: VH86V.DS3H
Entry Name: The Kymin Roundhouse
Location: On the top of the hill overlooking the town on the east side, which is approached from the Staunton Road.
Locality: The Kymin
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Listing Date: 27 June 1952
Last Amended: 10 August 2005
Building Class: Recreational
Source ID: 2222
Erected in 1794 by the Kymin Club as a picnic house for its members, people prominent in Monmouth society. They met on Tuesdays, 'dining together in a social and friendly manner'. Built on the highest point of The Kymin to take advantage of the astonishing views, particularly those to the west, over the town and towards the mountains around Abergavenny. Nelson and the Hamiltons breakfasted here in 1802. Monmouthshire County Council gave the building to the National Trust in 1902 after a public subscription. recently restored by National Trust when converted back from a dwelling to its appearance at the time of Nelson.
Rendered and painted circular stone castellated tower of two storeys, each with a single room. Six over 6 pane sash windows facing north-west and south-west with an additional one on the first floor facing south-east, these are supposedly aligned on objects in the view. Flat roof, which once carried a telescope for the benefit of the Club members. Small residential two storey extension on the north-east side with a hipped and catslide roof. This has a tall narrow sash window and a standard one, oeuil-de-boeuf below. Single storey extension in the angle, this has a 6-panel door with the top two glazed and an oeuil-de-boeuf on the side wall.
The interior of the tower contains a kitchen on the ground floor and a dining room on the first floor. Plain residential accommodation for the tower keeper, and a staircase in the extension.
Included in a higher grade for its exceptional historic interest, its design and its very important contribution to the landscape and views around Monmouth.
Other nearby listed buildings