Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8114 / 51°48'41"N
Longitude: -2.7164 / 2°42'59"W
OS Eastings: 350706
OS Northings: 212774
OS Grid: SO507127
Mapcode National: GBR FL.X0TM
Mapcode Global: VH86T.VQSQ
Entry Name: Lloyds TSB
Location: On Monmouth's principal commercial street which leads out of the town square going south-west to Monnow Bridge.
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Listing Date: 27 June 1952
Last Amended: 10 August 2005
Building Class: Domestic
Source ID: 2289
Very late C18. Lived in and probably built by P M Hardwick, the leader of the group who developed The Kymin (qv). It was the Town Clerk's house in 1802 when visited by Nelson when he and Lady Hamilton were entertained there and in the garden behind (qv Nelson's Seat). It has been a bank since at least 1916 (OS Map).
Built of red brick in Flemish bond with stucco dressings, Welsh slate roof largely hidden from the street. Double depth plan with entry on the left and a small rear wing. Three storeys, three windows. Ground floor windows and left-hand doorway in semi-circular headed recesses. Six-panel door with radiating fanlight set above the architrave. Windows are 1 over 1 pane sashes. First floor cill band, windows with entablatures, centre first floor window pedimented, 6 over 6 pane sashes. Second floor ones are 3 over 6 pane sashes with architraves. Modillion cornice, parapet.
Rear elevation has a small two storey wing which projects on the right, rendered and painted gable end with hipped slate roof. The elevation to the main house has a large tripartite opening in the ground floor, 2 x 5 pane lights flank a late C20 door. The upper windows are 6 over 6 pane sashes with keyed heads and stone cills. There are two on the first floor which sit on a band, and three above. Cornice, parapet, the tip of the roof is just visible from ground level.
Only the ground floor was seen at resurvey. This has been entirely stripped out and altered for bank use.
Included for its special architectural interest as an important late C18 house with historic connections in the Monmouth town centre.
Other nearby listed buildings