This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8131 / 51°48'47"N
Longitude: -2.7129 / 2°42'46"W
OS Eastings: 350949
OS Northings: 212956
OS Grid: SO509129
Mapcode National: GBR FL.WTZR
Mapcode Global: VH86T.XPNG
Entry Name: Priory House Conservative Club
Listing Date: 15 August 1974
Last Amended: 24 February 2006
Source ID: 2361
Building Class: Recreational
Location: On the street continuing Church Street east out of the town centre.
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Probably C18 in origin but very altered and enlarged in the mid C19 when two houses were converted into one (Priory House) and then further extended and changed before 1948 when it was taken over by Monmouth Conservative Club . It is shown on the John Wood map of 1835, apparently already a single address. Previous to 1835 it was the Monmouth Classical Academy.
Roughcast and painted with a modern dark red tile roof. Three storeys on the right and two storeys on the left, once separate houses. Five windows in all, with three in the 3-storey part. This has plain 2 over 2 pane sashes on the ground and first floors with a band between. On the right a small enclosed porch with two plain columns, flat hood on dentil cornice. The upper floor has early C20 cross-framed casements. On right (west) side a strange first floor conservatory with tile roof. Two fluted Doric columns on street side of this on the first floor, possibly brought from elsewhere. Range of plain glazing along the west side of the upper storey, bracketed eaves, roof hipped front to back. The 2-storey part on the left has three arched windows on the ground floor, the centre one converted to a door; the left hand window is 3 over 3 panes, the right one 2 over 2, wrought iron area railings attached on the left, so the right hand window was originally the door of the separate house. The roof has a brick dentil eaves cornice and is hipped over all with three ridge stacks. Two storey garage part on left with one casement window above garage door, dentil cornice and plain roof. Rear elevation not seen.
The interior of the ground floor has been completely altered, both in planning and decoration, for its club use. Upper floors not seen at resurvey.
Included for its special architectural interest as a multi-period house (now converted to a club) facing St. Mary's churchyard.
Other nearby listed buildings