Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6084 / 51°36'30"N
Longitude: -2.9519 / 2°57'6"W
OS Eastings: 334177
OS Northings: 190382
OS Grid: ST341903
Mapcode National: GBR J7.9XWQ
Mapcode Global: VH7B6.ST9V
Entry Name: The Hanbury Arms PH
Location: On the north river bank at the southern entrance to Caerleon.
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Listing Date: 1 July 1951
Last Amended: 18 January 2002
Building Class: Domestic
Source ID: 2995
The main range of the building is C16, dating probably from 1565, with a rear wing that was reconstructed probably in the early C18. The building was extensively rewindowed in the early C19 and externally has been little changed since, apart from the incorporation of a once detached outhouse. This building began as a house, Ty Glyndwr, built by the Morgan family, though the extensive cellarage suggests that it was also designed for trade from the first. In the C17 it became an inn on the Caerleon Quay and for a time one room was used as a Magistrate's Court with a lock-up in the adjacent Tower (qv). Alfred, Lord Tennyson is recorded as staying in the inn in 1856 when he wrote a part of the 'Idylls of the King'.
The building is constructed of local rubble stone which is wholly rendered and limewashed; Welsh slate roofs with lead valleys. It is L-shaped with the main range facing the quay and the rear wing projecting back from the right hand end of this. The main range is two storeys and attics over cellars, while the rear wing, set into rising ground, is two storeys and attics.
The main elevation facing the quay has three wide bays. The undercroft has three square headed doorways to the vaults. The ground floor has a small window to the left; then a double window with a 6 6 pane casement and a 2 2 casement, these are all C20. Next comes an early C19 8 over 8 sash, then a projecting bay which is supported on the quay. This has 1 2 1 sashes, each with 4 over 4 panes. The upper floor has original C16 windows, stone framed with hollow chamfered mullions and 4 centred heads and a labelmould over, 3-light, 3-light and 4-light. Steeply pitched roof, with projecting eaves, with the stack between the first and second bays, . The return elevation to Hanbury Close is four bays of which the first, in the C16 house, is much wider. This bay has an 18 over 18 sash window below and an 8 over 8 above. The second bay has the main entrance with panelled door and later segmental hood over; above this is an 8 over 8 sash. Finally come four more 8 over 8 sashes, all these windows are early C19. The roof is hipped with a ridge stack between the first and second bays and a large wall stack on the right hand hip.
The rear elevation is much plainer. The main range has a modernpentice along the ground floor and a single C20 window above. The gable end abuts the medieval Tower (qv) and has a plain attic window. The rear of the secondary range has two small lean-tos and only one plain window in the original back wall. The gable end is blind.
There is an area of pitched cobbles along the river frontage and there is probably more concealed by the tamac over most of the surface of the quay.
Only the cellars under the main wing and the interior of the ground floor were seen at resurvey. The three cellars have stone barrel vaulting opening onto the quay. The ground floor is all opened out into one bar space with both wings together and the evidence of the beams etc. is now very changed and confused. Upstairs was not seen but it is reported that there are no visible features in the main rooms other than the insides of the C16 windows. The staircase is rebuilt and the roof timbers cannot be seen.
Included as a C16 house built by an important local family and retaining much historic character.
Other nearby listed buildings