History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Statue of David Lloyd George

A Grade II Listed Building in Caernarfon, Gwynedd

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1393 / 53°8'21"N

Longitude: -4.2754 / 4°16'31"W

OS Eastings: 247892

OS Northings: 362662

OS Grid: SH478626

Mapcode National: GBR 5H.6CWN

Mapcode Global: WH43F.9CB4

Entry Name: Statue of David Lloyd George

Listing Date: 10 August 1953

Last Amended: 3 May 2002

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 3843

Building Class: Commemorative

Location: On the terrace on the W side of Castle Square, opposite the castle.

County: Gwynedd

Town: Caernarfon

Community: Caernarfon

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

History

David Lloyd George (1863-1945) was a world statesman and one of the most important British politicians of the C20. Born in Manchester, he was raised at Llanystumdwy, Caernarfonshire. He entered Parliament as Liberal MP for Caernarfon Boroughs in 1890 and continued to represent the constituency until 1945. Initially a spokesman for non-conformist and Welsh causes, he was subsequently appointed to a succession of ministerial posts, including President of the Board of Trade in 1905, and from 1908-15 Chancellor of the Exchequer. In the latter post he introduced national health insurance and old age pensions, the foundation of the Welfare State. He was Prime Minister 1916-22 and was a leading figure in the Versailles peace negotiations following World War I, and in the partition of Ireland. Lloyd George was elevated to the peerage in 1945 shortly before his death.

The statue was erected in 1921 when Lloyd George was Prime Minister. It is by W. Goscombe John, and cast by A.B. Burton of Thames Ditton. The base is by J. Fletcher Ltd of Caernarfon.

Exterior

A full-length bronze statue on a square freestone granite base and stepped plinth. The base has inscriptions to the front and rear in English and Welsh. High relief bronze panels to the sides portray respectively the village school at Llanystumdwy and the Paris Peace Conference of 1919.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its social historical interest as commemorating one of the most important Welsh politicians of the C20, and as an important memorial statue by a prominent Welsh sculptor. It also makes an important contribution to the historic character of Castle Square and the setting of Caernarfon Castle.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.