This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2277 / 53°13'39"N
Longitude: -4.4483 / 4°26'53"W
OS Eastings: 236664
OS Northings: 372872
OS Grid: SH366728
Mapcode National: GBR 58.0RWV
Mapcode Global: WH42Y.M4YD
Entry Name: Chapel of St. Mary (Tal-y-llyn) and churchyard walls
Listing Date: 5 April 1971
Last Amended: 25 November 1998
Source ID: 5275
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: In an isolated location at the E side of a country lane c. 4.25km NE of Aberffraw and c. 3.75km SW of Gwalchmai; the chapel lies within an enclosed circular churchyard.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Built as the chapel of ease for the parish church of Llanbeulan. The nave is Medieval, possibly C12, the chancel re-built late C16 and the S chapel added C17. The chapel has been re-slated but retains C15 and C17 trusses. In use as an occasional venue for services up until the early 1990's, the chapel was made redundant c.1992.
A simple chapel of ease. Nave of 2 bays with W gable bellcote; shorter, narrower chancel with S chapel set at right angles to E end of S wall. Built of rubble masonry with boulder quoins; modern slate roof with stone copings and single, rubble bellcote at W gable. Entrance to the chapel is through a round-headed arched doorway (possibly C14), with relieving arch, in W gable wall of the nave; the nave has 2 small, rectangular windows in the N wall, inserted in early C20. There is a similar window in the N wall of the chancel; the E chancel window is a late C16 window of 3 round-headed lights in a square frame with moulded label. The S chapel has rectangular C17 windows in the E and W walls.
Nave of 4 roof bays, with exposed, arch-collared, pegged trusses with chamfered soffits; chancel beyond a pointed, chamfered, chancel arch of 2 roof bays with single bay chapel set at right angles to S (both with similarly detailed trusses). Stone flag floor throughout; the nave has a narrow plinth at the base of each side wall into which simple plank pews are set, one bench end dated 1786. Immediately S of the door is the rough pillar rest of the original C12 font (removed for safe keeping when the church was made redundant), and further along the S side of the nave is a C15 octagonal gritstone font with roll moulding at the base, set on an octagonal stem with necking. The pulpit is simple with recessed panelled faces and a sloping top on shaped brackets; the communion rail also simply designed, a moulded rail on turned balusters, dated 1764, the reredos of tongued and grooved panelling with chevron detailing. Windows are now boarded but retain the leaded lights.
Included at Grade I as a very rare example of a virtually unrestored Medieval church of simple, rustic character, which is particularly notable for the retention of a complete set of C18 fittings, including simple benches.
Other nearby listed buildings