History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Bodeilio

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanddyfnan, Isle of Anglesey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2751 / 53°16'30"N

Longitude: -4.2594 / 4°15'33"W

OS Eastings: 249440

OS Northings: 377725

OS Grid: SH494777

Mapcode National: GBR HNV1.HN4

Mapcode Global: WH42N.JYY4

Entry Name: Bodeilio

Location: In an isolated rural location, set back from the SE side of the B5109 NE of Talwrn and c1.25km SW of the Church of St Dyfnan.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Community: Llanddyfnan

Traditional County: Anglesey

Listing Date: 2 September 1952

Last Amended: 11 June 2002

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Building Class: Domestic

Source ID: 5336

History

Early C17 house, built in 1602. Service wing added to rear, and agricultural buildings were built abutting each end of the house, probably early C19. By the time of the Tithe apportionments of 1841, the house formed part of the estate of the Right Honorable Lord Vivian along with the neighbouring gentry house at Marian. Bodeilio itself was an extensive farm of over 300 acres (121.5 hectares), occupied by Evan Rice Thomas and his family, along with 5 servants and 4 labourers. The house was restored and altered in the mid-late C20; the roof has been re-slated and the windows replaced. The former cowhouse now forms part of the residence, the doorways have been partially infilled and windows inserted and the interior of both modernised. Former lofted stables, cartshed and threshing barn built at NE end converted for use as commercial premises, profiled roof added and openings now with modern windows and doors.

Exterior

Early C17 gentry house. The principal elevation faces a walled garden to the SW, a 2-storey, 3-window range including storeyed porch offset to right; single storey service wing to rear (former dairy). Built of limestone and grit rubble masonry with large quoins. Slate roof with stone coping; gable stacks with capping, tall rendered stack to porch gable has hollow chamfered capping. The porch entrance is an arched doorway which has double roll-moulded jambs and broach stops; the first floor window has a moulded label above which is an inscribed stone which bears the dates 1602 and 1618 and the initials I. O. Windows in flanking bays are modern replacement casements.

Interior

The ground plan has been lost owing to the insertion of a later partition, though the staircase occupies its original position; probably consisted of passage with staircase at one end and a room on either side. Cased beams, mortices under the main beam of the kitchen near the N end suggest that this end was shut off as a larder. Massive chamfered bressumers to large inglenook fireplaces in kitchen and sitting room. First floor retains original plan with central hallway and room either side; another over porch (formerly with fireplace in SE corner). Original panels of passage remains; rooms subdivided in C19. Staircase window at half landing, wide-boarded doors, and doors with 6 sunk panels.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as an early C17 gentry house, of particular historic interest as an early example of an end chimney type. Bodeilio is one of several houses on the island which have a storeyed porch with gable stack (and here datestone), representative of a style favoured by the gentry in the early C17. Some original detail remains internally.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Marian
    In an isolated rural location, set back from the N side of the B5109 NE of Talwrn; c1km SW of the Ch
  • II Bryn Brochan
    Set back, along private trackway, from the W side of Siloam Terrace in the heart of the village of T
  • II Plas Llanddyfnan
    In an isolated rural location, set back within private grounds from the NW side of the B5109 just N
  • II Parc
    Set back, along private trackways, from the W side of Siloam Terrace in the heart of the village of
  • II Lofted stable range at Plas Llanddyfnan
    In an isolated rural location, set back within private grounds from the NW side of the B5109 just N
  • II Ty'n Llan
    In a rural location, set back from the N side of the B5109; NE of Talwrn and W of Pentraeth. Locate
  • II* Church of St Dyfnan
    In a rural location, set back from the N side of the B5109; NE of Talwrn and W of Pentraeth.
  • II Melin Llanddyfnan aka Pen y fan
    In an elevated location, set back from the SE side of a country road leading to Llanbedrgoch from th

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.