This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.333 / 53°19'58"N
Longitude: -4.2608 / 4°15'38"W
OS Eastings: 249550
OS Northings: 384166
OS Grid: SH495841
Mapcode National: GBR HMVW.P0T
Mapcode Global: WH42G.JH87
Entry Name: Church of St. Eugrad
Listing Date: 12 May 1970
Last Amended: 2 May 2002
Source ID: 5372
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: In an isolated rural location within an oval churchyard set back from the SW side of a lane leading to the house and home farm at Parciau, W of Marian glas.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Traditional County: Anglesey
The survival of a C12 chancel arch gives a secure dating for the fabric of the nave and chancel, and there is a blocked nave window of apparently similar date. Other surviving early architectural detail includes a probably C13 crucifixion stone, and C14 and C15 north and south doorways. A N chapel was added in the C16, and the nave re-roofed in the C17. In the mid C19 a vestry and proch were added. The church was conservatively restored in the later C19.
Small rural church in C19 simple Decorated style comprising nave and chancel, with N chapel set at right angles to the chancel, N vestry and S porch. Built of rubble masonry with grit dressings to all walls, pebbledashed rendered bar the N and W wall of the N chapel and those of the S porch. Modern slate roof; stone copings with stone crosses at gable apexes. Single C17 bellcote at W gable has a simple arch and is surmounted by the weathered remains of a ball finial. The S porch and N vestry were both added in C19 and have flat roofs with bold castellations over advanced dripcourses. The porch is of exposed gritstone and the outer doorway has a round head of rough voussoirs, the C15 doorway within has a round arched head and quarter-round jamb mouldings. Most of the church windows are C19, but there is a blocked C12 window in the S wall of the nave which has chamfered jambs and a round head formed of a single stone; the C19 N window in the vestry is similarly detailed and incorporates a reset Medieval sill and jamb. The C19 E window has Decorated tracery of 3 trefoil headed lights in chamfered surround with hood mould. The W window and the N window of the chapel are similarly detailed C19 windows of 2 lights. There is a blocked C16 doorway in the W wall of the chapel which has a shallow pointed arch head formed of a single stone.
Nave and chancel separated by simple C12 chancel arch, with chamfered imposts, now plastered over. Nave has late C17 roof of chamfered collared trusses on wall posts sprung from shaped corbels. C14 N doorway (now giving access to vestry), with reset weathered gritstone water stoup alongside, above which is a carved cruxifixion stone, probably C13, bearing a crudely carved figure on a wheel cross with pierced spandrels. The chancel has a C16 roof with closely spaced arch-braced trusses; these now rest on a C19 beam carried on shaped corbels, spanning the wide opening between chancel and N chapel. The chapel is a C16 addition, and its roof is similar to that of the nave though with broader trusses; the N truss has a trefoil above the collar beam.
The church retains some C18 memorials, including: a recessed stone memorial to John Williams of Bodgynda d.1721; to Rowland Jones d.1757, Mary Thomas his wife d.1763; to Owen Thomas of Park d.1783, Margaret his wife d.1794, Owen their son d.1702, Elizabeth their daughter d.1796 and Anne, daughter of Wm. Edward of Llanfaes d.1790. Other C19 and C20 memorials mainly commemorate the Williams family of Parciau, the estate on which the church stands; but there is also one well detailed Art Nouveau style stone memorial to John Groome, 4th Officer of the Royal Charter, which sank off the coast at Moelfre.
The church fittings are C19, and pews, pulpit, reading desk and chancel rail are all embellished with pierced trefoil decoration. Above the chancel rail on the S wall of the chancel there is a wooden panel, formerly part of a pulpit, with conventional leaf ornament and bearing the date and initials: BAB / ANNO / DOMI / 1644.
At the W end of the nave there stands the font; probably C12, a plain tapered bowl with a projecting band at the base. There is also a tall, much weathered water stoup of unknown date.
Listed as a simple rural church (characteristic of the island). Substantially C12 in character and fabric, including the chancel arch, which represents a rare survivor of an early building date for the region. Other medieval and sub-medieval fabric includes a C13 carved cruxifixion stone, C16 chancel roof and chapel.
Other nearby listed buildings